thirteen

⋆ thirteen ⋆

⋆ thirteen ⋆

"Something is going to go wrong," JJ can't help but mutter to Lily after the person she was talking to walks away.

She sighs, turning to her friend, ready for the rant she knows is coming. "Nothing is going to go wrong."

"Yes, it is. All the board members are on edge too, considering the ones before them were vaporised at the last festival! People died when the Green Goblin showed up, and knowing our luck, something else is going to happen this time."

"That's exactly why nothing is going to happen this time," she argues, lowering her voice as the pair head out to the balcony so people don't overhear. "We're not – having a good time, Mr Addams? – we're not going to stop this tradition just because of one bad sting. It was about time we brought the World Unity Festival back."

"Why?"

"Because if this succeeds, that's another point to Oscorp. We can finally instil confidence in the company again. Besides, it's a fundraising event, JJ. Money goes to hospitals and homeless people. We're doing a good thing."

Jesse grits his teeth uncomfortably, but at Lily's raised eyebrow, he reluctantly concedes. "Fine. But at the first sign of danger, I'm not afraid to run off and leave you behind, just so you know."

But Lily's already distracted from the conversation as she leans against the balustrade, face alight once she spots a familiar face in the crowd below.

Peter Parker snaps the shot on his camera before moving it away from his face, meeting her eyes with a grin of his own. He gives a wave, seeing her wave back, then glance around sneakily. Instead, she points to behind her with her thumb, subtly gesturing for him to come upstairs, the sight making Peter chuckle.

He shoots her a look, knowing he'd get into trouble, but she mimes taking photographs before giving a wink. It's only a moment of Peter looking around him, seeing the bustling crowds in fancy dress selling all kinds of trinkets, before he looks back up at Lily and nods.

"What are you doing now?" Jesse sighs beside Lily, grabbing her attention once more.

She gives a sheepish smile, knowing he caught the whole exchange. "Can you go meet him downstairs? Please? Help him get past the security, bring him up here."

"What– All the way down there and then back up again?"

"Yes?"

Jesse raises an eyebrow. "You're really dating him now. Peter Parker. And you're not worried about what Harry might've thought about it?"

"Harry isn't here. It's my life and I can do what I want with it. He already got to make his bad decisions."

He hesitates, then finally smiles. "I'm glad you're happy with him." He glances back over the balcony, seeing all the distance – and all the stairs that'll go with it – before groaning. "And I hope my partner's happy too. I'm skipping leg day this weekend after this."