eleven

⋆ eleven ⋆

⋆ eleven ⋆

"So when the banners are released against the office buildings in Times Square, we cut the ribbon and the festival officially opens," Lily summarises, scribbling it down on her computerised whiteboard, the same words coming up on the large board beside her for everyone to see. "The overhead balloons will be brought in the morning."

"Right, and we establish dress-up and face painting for the kids attending," one of the department workers suggest, Lily nodding in their direction before adding that.

Sometimes work is undeniably boring, going through files and signing paperwork and such, but there are times like this where she gets to do the fun things, like planning the World Unity Festival.

Sure, most of her meetings are full of aggravating old white people, either board members or department heads, but it's groups like these that she actually enjoys working with, full of younger people with less conservative ideas and more energy. It's already hard enough being the youngest in the room despite being the CEO.

One of the men sitting near her suggests, "What about entertainment for the adults? How about some singers?"

Someone else's eyes widen. "Can we do that?"

Lily's smile forms at the mention, already writing it down. "Of course. I have Eminem on speed dial." Accompanied by a cheeky wink, the others laugh, chattering amongst themselves as she checks her phone for the time. It's cutting it close, she knows, and when her gaze wanders over to JJ by the door gesturing to his non-existent watch, she nods, already aware.

Just as her lips part to speak, she catches on of the sentences said near the other end of the table. "It'll be hard to top the one where Green Goblin showed up."

It's enough to leave her quiet for a moment, the memory playing back in her mind. Her standing on the balcony with Scott, giving Harry and MJ a wave near them before getting into a conversation with one of the board members. Green Goblin appearing out of nowhere, shooting at them, very nearly hitting them. Mary Jane nearly dying when the balcony broke. Lily's just lucky she made it out with nothing worse than a broken arm.

Shaking her head slightly, she forces it away. She's not going to think of how the last World Unity Festival ended in flames and chaos. She's not going to think about the pressure on her to make this go well, for the sake of her father's company.

Clearing her throat, she finally says, "Looks like I need to head off now, but good work everyone. We'll pick this up at Tuesday's meeting."

Not waiting for everyone else to go first like she usually does, Lily grabs her phone before hurriedly heading over to the door, where Jesse passes her her bag, both moving quickly down the hallway as he mutters, "You're going to be late."

"I know, I know."

The journey to Columbia University takes a while with the traffic of the weekend rush, but when Lily clambers out of the car and Bernard takes it to go park somewhere, she hears the chatter of students and family alike.