twenty-three - zayn

Chapter Twenty-Three – Zayn

            “I’m sure it’ll be fine,” Liam sighs, shooting Zayn a look, and he only shrugs.

            He wants the date to be perfect. Fine wasn’t going to cut it.

            “She’ll love it either way,” Liam continues, slapping Zayn’s wrist when he reaches for his hair. “Stop that. Be yourself, Zayn. That’s why she loves you.”

            “But what if—”

            “But what if you stop being a baby and go have a good time with your girlfriend,” Harry calls from the kitchen, and Zayn frowns.

            These boys are good for nothing but a headache.

            And he’s sure that Skylar can vouch for that, too.

            It’s been a while since Zayn had driven, since his mum had forced him into a driving test, and it takes a few minutes to get the hang of it of it again. Once he does, he’s off, only a few minutes late when he reaches Skylar’s flat.

            She’s a bundle of joy and happiness when she does spot him, kissing him and hugging him all the way to the car until he has to pry her off and get into the driver’s seat.

            “You drive so slowly,” she groans once the small talk (how was work? Boring as always. Well how was school? Why are you even asking the question, you know the answer.) has died down.

            “I haven’t driven in a quite a while,” Zayn harrumphs, “and it doesn’t particularly help that your cars are backwards and you drive on the wrong side of the road.”

            Skylar leaves him be after that, mostly bugging him about where they’re going.

            He doesn’t tell her.

            Zayn’s going to kill Liam. He’s going to kill him ten times through.

            “You can’t go wrong with ice skating. It’s as easy as walking, Zayn, I promise,” he had said, and Zayn resents ever listening to him in the first place.

            Because he can barely move a millimeter without holding onto the rail, and Skylar obviously can, and she’s finding this hilarious and this is not how Zayn planned the date to go at all.

            “Have you ever ice-skated before?” She asks him, and damn it, she’s going backwards. Backwards.

            Zayn shakes his head, and he really wishes that he had brought a pair of gloves because his hands are freezing and numb.

            Skylar grins at him, and takes his hand in her own, slowly dragging him towards the middle of the rink, where’s there’s less wobbly children and more experienced teens.

            “I can’t skate, I said,” he warns, eyes going wide because he really can’t move now, not with everybody whizzing around him so expertly.

            Skylar ignores him, tugging him to her slowly until she can skate behind him and hold him by his waist.

            Zayn frowns, because this makes him feel really feminine, and judging by the looks and chuckles that he’s receiving from a group of guys, they think so too. “Skylar—”