Ram: "...Tentatively. But the trail has already gone cold. One of the children Barusu and Rem supposedly brought back from the forest vanished from the village the next day."

When she'd asked about the girl with braids who the two had brought back, they had said the villagers all claimed they didn't know the girl. According to the children, she became part of their group at some point, but they couldn't say when.

When she pressed further, they told her that it was that girl who had first brought the demon beast pup to the village, and it was she who had later brought the children past the barrier with her into the forest. She was all but certain that girl had been the ringleader.

Roswaal: "First the Bowel Hunter in the royal capital, now the Beast Mage here. Certainly a strange cast of characters."

Ram: "Yet they cannot best you no matter what they throw at you, Roswaal-sama."

Roswaal: "My, such a cheeky thing for you to say."

Having finished recalling the events of the previous days, their thoughts drifted in another direction.

Ram: "Barusu..."

Roswaal: "It seems even you have realized the significance Subaru-kun's reeeeevvvvvaalations to us could have in the future."

Ram: "Of course, that ability is handy to have in our possession, I'm just wondering..."

Roswaal: "Hm?"

Ram: "If it was better for Barusu to never reveal it to us in the first place."

Roswaal: "It is unknown if that would be the case. However, his heeeeeaaarrrt would have eventually lost hope and given up holding onto the secret at some point."

Ram: "That may be true, still, it makes me feel a bit sorry for Barusu."

Those were words he did not expect from Ram's mouth.

Roswaal: "Feel sorry for him?"

Ram: "Others will probably try to take advantage of his abilities if they learn of it. They may also try to corrupt him, and try to destroy his mind if they cannot destroy his body."

It was a disturbing thought, but one that could easily become a reality. If those in power were to learn of his abilities, terrible things could happen to him.

Roswaal: "Even though he did manage to avoid dying by sharing his troubles with us, that does not mean it will work out so well next time. There is also the question of hhhhhhoooooowwwww far he can be pushed, and at what point he might brrreeeaakk."

Ram: "There's also one other thing."

Roswaal: "Hm?"

Ram: "Rem had informed me, that Barusu believes his powers are connected to the Witch of Envy."

Roswaal's eyes widened. That was not something he expected to hear, much less for Subaru to bring it up himself with Rem. This also increased the danger if others started sniffing around Subaru. What would they do if they found out?

Roswaal: "That is quite concerning. Just in case, we better keep an eye on him, and maybe a leash too. So far he hasn't but if the Witch of Envy is involved, we don't know for how long that will last."

Ram: "I would ask Rem to be the one to keep an eye on Barusu, but..."

Roswaal: "Hm?"

Ram: "Rem has...fallen in love with Barusu."

She was happy that her sister had found someone she cared about other than her, but it also irritated her to no end that it was Subaru.

Ram: "It would seem Barusu has...grazed all of Rem's weak points."