16 | The Back Door

Start from the beginning

They tip toed from around the living room and stood on the sides of the door with their guns ready to shoot on spotting any threat.

"On three, I'll push the door completely open, okay?" Alphard said, as he was standing on the side of door that's hinged to the wall.

"All right," Luna nodded.

"One...two, three!" He pushed the door and Luna barged in, pointing the gun in front of her at nothing in particular.

In the dark room, her eyes caught movement on her left. Alphard switched on the lights just when a gun shot echoed and someone screamed.

Luna looked at Alphard in horror, embracing herself to witness the worse, but sighed with relief on seeing that the bullet had just scraped past his right arm. However the relief lasted only till she turned to look at the one who had delivered the shot. Her eyes widened with terror when she saw two familiar faces lumped on a corner of the room, looking thinner and paler than ever; scared. No need to tell that Alphard was going through the same emotions.

"Dad," He ran to Dorian.

Luna was still in shock and hasn't moved an inch from her spot. Alphard helped the two in front of him to sit properly.

"Luna..." The voice finally shook Luna out of her shock.

"Mom," She ran to Laura and hugged her tight. "What happened here? Who did this to you two?" She cried.

"This isn't the time, Luna. We'll have the answers soon, they need to rest now." Alphard tried pulling her away from Laura.

"No, I'm not leaving her!" Luna exclaimed, sobbing over her mother's shoulder.

"Luna, please. We both know it's the right thing to do."

"No!" Alphard sighed at her response.

He got close to her and put his hands over her shoulders from behind.

"Luna, don't you want to find out who did this to them? Don't you want to dig the person's grave for doing this?" He shifted to her right, she looked at him as he stroked the back of her head with his left hand. "I know you do, I do to, you're not alone in this. Will you?" He put his right hand in front of her. She took his hand and squeezed it gently, he smiled lightly. "Come on now," He stood up.

They got to Dorian's room first and cleaned it. They made the bed and also spread clean sheets over the couch in the room which was pretty large and comfy to sleep in, then they prepared Alphard's room in the same way.

They brought Laura to Alphard's room and Dorian to his own. Luna and Alphard decided to sleep on the couches of the respective rooms their parents were in. Since the house had no spare rooms, this was the only way.

"The weapons, let's leave them in one place so one of us stays awake while the other can rest." Luna suggested.

"All right,"

They brought the sheild and the sword in the same bag and placed clothes over it, covering the precious thing. Luna stayed on watch as Alphard rested for a while.

He woke up after a short nap and went to check on Luna. She was lying on the couch with the bag under her head and looking at her mother's sleeping figure. Alphard walked into the room drawing Luna's attention to him.

"How's he?" She asked.

"Same as her," He sat down beside her as she sat up and wrapped his arms around her.

"Dad. He's not here, I'm afraid he's responsible for___" Luna began, but Alphard cut her off.

"Shh, don't think about anything. Even if your dad did this, we all know it's not him, he's under someone's control. Just rest for now, we'll start immediately after they regain their strength, okay?" He ran a comforting hand over her back.