Chapter 7

"AT THIS POINT I'm really starting to believe you're obsessed with me," I said to Leo as he leaned on the window of my car

"I've been telling you," he smirked.

"Why are you here?" I looked up at him from my steering wheel.

"After the game, there's a party," he bent down and leaned through the window, "I think you should come."

"And you couldn't have told me this tomorrow?" I asked moving my face closer to his.

"Just wanted an excuse to talk to you" he shrugged, his face was so close to mine I could smell his cologne. 

"Well here," I handed him a piece of paper, "it's my number."

"You're flirting with me now?" he grabbed the paper from my hand.

"I can take it back," I went to grab it but he quickly shoved it in his back pocket. 

"Too late," he looked over his shoulder then stood up straight, "I'll call you tonight."

"Goodbye Haynes," I waved at him.

"Bye bye pretty girl," he said, walking off before I could respond.

"I thought you said I wasn't," I muttered to myself, starting my car.

As I pulled into the main room, I looked in my mirror to see Brandon shouting at Leo. I decided I would ask what that was about tonight when he called, something I was ashamed to admit I was looking forward to. He was a kind of distraction that helped me; as soon as I started talking to him, I would immediately forget about the situation. Everything he had done and said to me had made me feel special in a way that Brandon has never made me feel.

Why am I comparing them?

I was excited for Friday; I had never seen one of their games before, and even if it meant sitting on those tough benches with a sore body, I was going to be there. There was a high probability that Leo and I weren't going to see each other until Friday because normally the teams are pulled into practices during class time, and the same goes with football. I couldn't wait to see him in full action mode, with sweat dripping down his face and is muscles bulging at every move he made.

I pulled into my driveway and quickly hopped out my car, I knew mom was waiting on me to tell her about my day. I opened the door and quickly took of my mary janes leaving me in white socks, I turned the corner and there she was sitting on the floor with a bottle of wine in her right hand and a popcorn bowl in the other, wine glasses on the coffee table.

"Come on," she ushered, "I have work to leave for work soon."

Throwing my bag on the floor, I sat myself down beside her and quickly poured myself a glass of wine.

"So how did it go? Did you beat the crap out of her?" she asked taking a sip of wine.

"While on my way to lunch Brandon was at my locker, and I was going to ignore him but before I could walk off he grabbed me-"

"He didn't?" she gasped dramatically.

"Then he started talking about how he made a mistake and how he loves me-"

"Your father said the same thing," she snickered taking a sip of her wine.

"And then I was like 'If you think I'm gonna fall for that then your dumb'," she gave me high five before I continued, "and the worst part about it is that he felt absolutely no remorse about what he did, so I told him to leave me alone and you should've seen the relief on his face. I mean was I that bad-"

"Don't say that," she hit my arm, "Brandon is not the most sharpest tool in the shed."

"Anyways I broke down crying in the middle of the hallway and then Leo Haynes is in front of me comforting me," I smiled at the memory, "and then I realized that I've never been comforted by Brandon or even-"

"Wait," she paused me, "who's Leo Haynes?"

"He's the basketball captain," I ate popcorn as I explained, "also Brandon's sworn enemy. I made the cookies for him."

"And why is this the first time I'm hearing about him?" 

"Guess I didn't think you would want to hear," I shrugged.

"Get back to today," she rolled her eyes at my previous statement. 

"So anyways after he caressed my cheek and wiped my tears," she cooed as I spoke, "we went to lunch, he went with his team because I wanted to study but then he decided to sit with me. He asked if I was coming to his game and I eventually said yes and right when I was about to leave guess who showed up."

"Emma?" she squealed as I nodded, "It just keeps getting better and better."

"So anyways she's trying to manipulate me, and she was like 'I can't believe you're hanging out with the enemy'", she scoffed, "I know right, so anyways I'm talking to her and then a cheerleader asked what had happened between Brandon and I. Then suddenly I just heard someone say 'He slept with Emma' and when I turned around the whole basketball team was there. The whole cafeteria heard it and then she ran off."  

"No way," her eyes widened in surprised.

"Yeah," I sipped the last of my wine, "that's basically what happened."

"Luckily everyone knows what happened, we wouldn't want everyone to side with Emma," she spoke as she chewed on popcorn.

"Your saying that as if we're talking about politics," I got from the floor and grabbed my things and she followed behind me.

"Honey, we're talking about a private school here," she started as we walked up the stairs. "Those kids lives are boring, which means they latch on to someone else's life; in this case, it's yours, and knowing those rich kids, if Emma had started a rumor about you, then those kids would be on you for the rest of your time there, and even if you only have a few months left, I want you to be comfortable there. So yes, this is like politics, and we have now won the people over."

"Well your quite passionate," I turned around to face her.

"I don't want to get calls from the school saying my daughter is getting tormented," she held my face, "because I would go off. I love you."

"I love you too," I gave her a hand a kiss.

"Now I have to go get ready for work," she released my face.

"And I have an assignment due in an hour," I walked to my room, "have fun at work."

"You know I always do," I heard her say before she disappeared behind her room door.

As I settled in I got out my reading glasses and got started on my assignment, it was supposed to be a 1500-5000  worded essay and at times like this I hated that I attended a private school. While typing away, mom said her final goodbyes then left leaving me home alone. As I started getting into the groove of things my phone suddenly rang and I remembered what I had said to Leo and then one questioned popped up in my mind.

Why am I getting excited?