Chapter 17

Pain. That was all I felt. My eyes were closed, but I could feel tears leaking out. I could feel a soft fabric underneath my fingers, and I grasped it when the pain began to increase. I was letting out whimpers of pain, and there was no stopping it.

I felt something brush against my hand, and I used whatever strength I had to open my eyes. A plain, white wall was the first thing I saw, and I did a quick scan of the room I was in. There was a TV hanging on the wall, a couch with a window right above, and when I turned my head just the slightest bit, a heart monitor came into view.

Heart monitor?

That's when it all came back to me. Spencer threatening me in the mall. Getting attacked in the alley. Then getting stabbed.

Oh, my God. I got stabbed.

I could hear the heart monitor pick up as my heart began to race, and my breathing became staggered. It was as if my lungs were collapsing and I couldn't get in a proper breath.

"Scar, relax! Just breath!"

I jumped at the panicked voice and turned my head to find Ross looking at me, his eyes filled with worry. He had dark bags under his eyes, a sure sign that he hadn't been sleeping.

"Just relax, you're okay." He soothed, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles.

I let Ross' voice calm me down, and I listened as the heart monitor began to calm down, the rhythm of my heartbeat returning to normal.

"You need to take it easy, okay? Your body's still healing." He leaned forward and kissed my forehead. "Do you remember what happened?"

Flashes of Spencer's face appeared in my head, and I clenched my eyes shut, hoping they would disappear. The look on his face right before he plunged the knife into my stomach sent chills down my spine, and I couldn't stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks.

"Scar, it's okay. You're gonna be okay." He inched closer and moved some hair out of my face. "I'm gonna go get the doctor and tell him you're awake."

"Don't leave me." I begged, my voice coming out all raspy. Even saying such a simple sentence brought a great amount of pain, and it took everything I had not to scream.

He nodded slowly and sunk back down into the chair. "Okay. I'm not going anywhere." He grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. "What can I do, Scar? Do you need anything? I feel so helpless just sitting here."

I shook my head, weakly squeezing his hand. "How long have I been here?"

"Two days." He rested his chin on the bed and looked up at me, nothing but pain in his eyes. "I-I know you don't want to talk about it, but do you have any idea who did this to you? The police want to catch this guy and put him away."

A lump in my throat formed, and I wish I could just cut my throat open and pull it out. There was no hiding the person who did this, and once I said his name, all would be revealed. Ross' family would never look at me the same, and I wouldn't be shocked if Stormie and Mark kicked me out.

Who would want a rape victim in their house?

"It was Spencer." I confessed, my bottom lip trembling.

Ross' jaw clenched, and anger became evident on his face. "I'm gonna kill that son of a bitch." He went to stand up, but I grabbed his arm, whimpering slightly in the process.

"Ross, please don't try and find him. I-I can't have you getting hurt because of me." A sob escaped my lips. "Everyone would be happier if I wasn't here."

"Don't you dare say that." He growled, eyes darkening. "I fucking love you, Scar, and so does everyone else. None of this is your fault, so stop blaming yourself. The only one to blame is Spencer. That son of a bitch deserves to rot in hell for what he did to you. And trust me, if there was a chance that I wouldn't get arrested, his head would be far away from his body, preferably in a ditch."