Chapter 2

This is an AU book, by the way. Just wanted to clarify that.

"Here's some clean towels and an extra toothbrush," Rydel placed the items on the edge of the sink, flashing me a soft smile. "And your pajamas are on my bed."

I rubbed my upper arm, feeling a tad awkward. "Thanks." I honestly didn't know what to say or think. Just a few hours ago, I was a homeless runaway looking for a place to stay, and now I was living with the nicest family I had ever met. 

"Scarlett, I know this is weird for you, but we're glad you're staying with us." She assured, probably sensing my uneasiness. 

"But you just met me." I quietly replied. "Why are you happy a stranger is living with you?" 

"Because I don't see you as a stranger." She answered. "I see you as a friend that I need to get to know." I couldn't help but smile a little, causing her to smile back. "Don't think of us as strangers, okay? We're a family now. My brothers, parents, and I are your family."

My ability to form words disappeared, and all I was able to do was nod. She soothingly rubbed my upper arm before exiting the bathroom, giving me the privacy I needed. I looked at myself in the mirror and immediately cringed. Mud was in my hair and on my face, and it looked like I had been sleeping outside for days. It still amazed me that they took me in and let me be a part of their family. 

I stripped off my dirty clothes and put them in a pile, moving them to the side. I turned on the water in the shower and let it heat up, stepping in moments later when I felt the temperature of the water. The second the water hit my sore and aching muscles, I instantly felt relieved. And once I started scrubbing the mud off, I felt clean and refreshed. I wasn't even sure how long I stayed in the shower, but it was probably for a while. 

I grabbed the towels Rydel gave me and wrapped one around my body while the other one was used to wrap around my hair. She had showed me where her room was, so I quickly hurried there, not wanting to be seen by any of her siblings. I closed the door and locked it, then spotted the pajamas she had lent me sitting on her bed. From what I could tell, we were about the same size. I quickly dried myself off and changed into her comfy pajamas, loving how the material felt against my skin. 

I did my best to dry my hair with the towel, and then decided to let it air dry. When I looked in the mirror that Rydel had in her room, I breathed a sigh of relief that I looked somewhat normal. Besides the bags under my eyes and my pale skin, I looked better than I did before. I didn't know how they let me sleep on their couch when I was covered in mud. 

A knock on the door caused me to slightly jump, but I recovered quickly and unlocked it, allowing Stormie to walk into her daughter's room. "I see Rydel's pajamas fit you nicely." She commented. I nodded shyly. "I also got rid of the clothes you were wearing. I don't want you wearing ripped clothing. Tomorrow, you, Rydel, and I will go shopping for some new clothes."

"Stormie, you don't-"

"We're your family, Scarlett." She interrupted softly. "Everything we do for you is because we want to, not because we have to. We all agreed that we want to make you as comfortable as possible." She brushed my damp hair behind my ear, and I almost cried at the affectionate contact. "So don't protest when we want to buy you anything, okay?" 

I nodded, mumbling a soft, "Okay." 

She smiled. "Now, how about you head on downstairs and watch some TV with everyone else, while I set up the air mattress for you in here?" She suggested. "Mark and the boys will be cleaning out the guest bedroom while we're out tomorrow. Then we'll be able to start decorating the room to your liking."