Chapter 3

"I'm exhausted." Rydel moaned, placing some of my shopping bags on the ground by the couch. I did the same, but didn't announce how tired I was.

"Do you girls want some water?" Stormie questioned, looking at us expectantly. Rydel and I nodded, giving her a silent answer. 

I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my new iPhone, my eyes scanning the fingerprint free screen. It was already set up, but the only numbers programmed in my phone were Mark, Stormie, and the Lynch siblings. I still couldn't believe Stormie had bought me a phone. The only phone I had ever had was a flip phone, but it broke a few years back and I never received another one. Well, until today. 

Stormie walked over to us, two cups of water in her hand. We gratefully expected it and pretty much gulped the cold water down. "I'm going to go check on the boys and see how they're doing." She informed us before heading upstairs. 

I finished off my water before placing the empty cup on the closest table near me. Silence became the enemy as soon as Stormie left, and I didn't know what to do to break it. Shopping with Rydel didn't mean we were any closer than we were before. Yes, we were no longer strangers, but I still thought that this whole situation was odd. Why was it that I never felt this awkward when going to a new foster home? 

A sudden vibration, followed by a squeal from the blonde next to me, caused me to shift my eyes towards her. She was staring at her phone, a huge smile spread across her face. She then started typing rapidly, and I couldn't help but wonder what was going on. 

"Um, you okay?" I hesitantly asked. 

She nodded rapidly, that smile still plastered on her face. "My boyfriend is coming over soon. I haven't seen him in three weeks." I nodded, not sure what to say or do. "His name is Ellington Ratliff, but everyone calls him Ratliff." She added, obviously sensing the awkward tension. 

"Uh, how long have you two been together?" I questioned. 

"Two years, going on three." She replied. I could tell she was happy, just by the way she spoke. There was something in her voice that showed her happiness. "He's the love of my life." 

Before I had the chance to say anything, loud and rapid footsteps could be heard, and all the Lynch boys came running downstairs, hurrying right into the kitchen. Before I could even blink, they were stuffing their faces with food from the fridge. Were they working on my room all day without taking a break? If so, then wow. 

"Boys, don't be pigs." Mark scolded, entering the kitchen to grab something to drink. Stormie wasn't downstairs, so I assumed she was still upstairs. I also noticed the shopping bags were gone, so I assumed she had grabbed them on her way up. Why was she so damn sweet? 

"How does the room look?" Rydel asked, the question not directed at one specific person. 

"Really good." Rocky answered. "We got rid of all the crap we usually keep in there, and now you can actually see the bed." 

Everyone chuckled at the joke, including me. "And if you want to paint the room, we can head over to Home Depot and grab some paint." Mark told me. 

"But not today." Ross added. "I'm exhausted." 

I smiled slightly. "Thanks." I told Mark, then looked at everyone. "I really appreciate you doing this for me. It still amazes me that you took in a complete stranger." I was almost positive that I would never get over that fact. I would be forever grateful to the Lynch family.

They all smiled and did something I didn't expect. They brought me in for a group hug, and I could immediately feel the tears well up. I blinked rapidly, trying to keep the tears back. I didn't want to cry at a time like this. A time where I was finally happy.