Chapter 9

I hummed along to the music playing as I scrubbed down one of the empty tables. There were only a few customers around, but that didn't mean we wouldn't be getting more soon. It was only four in the afternoon. Tons of people loved drinking coffee, no matter the time.

The door opened and I looked up, about to greet the customer when I stopped myself. I narrowed my eyes at the blonde and straightened myself up. He caught my eyes and smirked.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, returning to my task.

He pulled the chair out from the table and sat down. "What? I can't come visit my girlfriend at work?"

"Not when no one knows we're together." I replied, moving onto the next table. "Why didn't you just wait for me to come home? I leave in an hour." 

"No one here cares if we're together or not, Scar." He stood up and quickly kissed my cheek. "And I wanted to walk you home. You don't know what type of people scope out teenage girls." 

"Obviously perverts and creeps." 

"Which is why I'm walking you home."

I rolled my eyes, walking over to the counter to toss the rag aside. "I was joking, Ross. I've walked home before and no one has every stopped me."

"Well, I'm not taking any chances." He grabbed his wallet from his back pocket and pulled out a ten. "Would you mind making me a large sweet tea?" He smiled sweetly at me, and I couldn't help but chuckle. 

"You're lucky you're cute." I quickly made him the drink and took his money, giving him back the correct change. He stabbed a straw in his drink and took a large sip. "Good or bad?"

He took another sip. "Good. You should definitely make these at home."

"Or you could." I retorted. 

"Not gonna happen." 

The door opened, and in came a line of customers. I groaned and looked at Ross. "Are you staying or leaving?"

"Staying." He replied. "I told you I'm walking you home." He winked and went to grab an empty table. 

~*~

"Why do some many people like Starbucks?" I whined, leaning my head on Ross' shoulder as he wrapped his arm around me. This made walking a bit difficult, but I was too tired to care. 

"Because they like coffee." He answered. "Just like you."

"True, but I hate making them for rude customers." 

"Then quit and find another job."

"I wish I could." I muttered, letting out a yawn. "Do you know how long it took to find this one? I'm not about to quit and be jobless." 

As much as I hated this job, the money I was making was good enough. I never had a job before, but I knew it was never going to be easy. I needed to learn to be independent, because I knew that living at the Lynch's wouldn't be a solid thing. As much as I loved living there, I needed to move out soon. I had been a burden to them for a few months, it was time to stop.

"What if you worked at the music store that Riker works at?" Ross questioned after a few moments of silence. "He's the manager, so I'm sure he can find a position for you."

"I don't want to put him in an awkward position."

Even though working at a music store sounded like heaven compared to working at Starbucks, I didn't want to compromise Riker's job.

"It'll be fine, Scar. Do you want me to talk to him?"

I slowly nodded, feeling slightly guilty. "But please talk to him when I'm not around. It'll make the whole situation even more awkward."