Chapter 12

The past month flew by painfully slow, and there were nights where I would stay up and not get a wink of sleep. No matter how many sleeping pills I would pop in my mouth, my body wouldn't rest.

I would try to hide the bags under my eyes, but Ross could always tell that I wasn't sleeping. I swear, he was frowning more rather than smiling.

The only good thing that happened during the month from hell, was that Ross' parents and siblings were happy for us. All my fears that they wouldn't accept us flew out the window, much to my relief.

But much to Ross' dismay, Mark and Stormie set a couple of rules. Well, one rule, technically. No sleeping in the same room.

"Scarlett, can you just wipe down the counter?" Riker asked, stepping down from the ladder. "Then we can go."

"Yeah, sure." I nodded, getting straight to work.

After quitting my job at Starbucks, I immediately started working at the store Riker managed. I definitely enjoyed this job more than I did the other one. There weren't as many rude customers, and I was surrounded by music all day.

I loved it.

"So, is there a reason why you look like a zombie all the time?" Riker asked as we pulled out of the parking lot of the store.

I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my seat. "Gee, way to be blunt."

He chuckled and patted my thigh. "Sorry, but you're starting to worry us. Especially Ross. Ryland told me that he constantly paces the floor at night."

I frowned, the guilt of worrying Ross creeping up. I didn't know I worried him that much, and I wish there was something I could do to make him stop.

"I hate that I'm worrying you guys," I admitted. "But I just can't sleep. And I know Ross told you about the guy I saw."

"He did." He confirmed, nodding. "And I understand that you don't want to tell us who you saw, but if it's affecting your sleep, then maybe you should talk to someone."

"Like a therapist? I'm sorry, but no way in hell."

He sighed. "Look, just think about it. Not getting enough sleep can deteriorate your body, and we don't want you getting sick." We pulled up to the house and he parked the car in the driveway. "We love you, Scarlett."

I stared at Riker, my eyes misty. My throat felt like it was closing up, so all I could do was nod. He flashed me a smile and ruffled my hair slightly before climbing out of the car. I blinked a couple of times to get rid of the layer of tears covering my eyes before following his lead.

Once we walked into the house, I quickly greeted everyone before excusing myself. I was drained, both physically and mentally. Riker's conversation just pushed me over the edge, and all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and cry.

But I couldn't cry anymore. I had been crying way too much, and I was almost positive that I had no more tears to produce. There were so many nights where I would just cry at night, and my eyes would be puffy and red in the morning.

I just wanted it to stop.

"Scar?" My bedroom door opened slowly and Ross poked his head in, a small frown on his face. I looked up at him from my spot in the corner of my room, my bottom lip wedged between my teeth.

"What's wrong, Scar? You're really worrying us." He walked in and gently closed the door behind him. He stepped forward and crouched down in front of me, placing his hand on my knee.

"I'm done." I murmured, my eyes focused on the ground. "I can't do it anymore. I just want it to stop."

He squeezed my knee gently and used his other hand to lift my chin up. His frown had deepened, and I wanted to kick myself for making him so sad.