Arc 2 - Chapter 7

Começar do início

Subaru: "I can think of three stupid things about you. Can you guess what they are?"

Rem's eyes quivered, unable to grasp the meaning behind Subaru's words. Subaru smiled at her reaction and raised a finger in front of Rem.

Subaru: "Can't be helped, then. The first stupid thing is...you're going overboard given the fact that I was actually, you know, saved. You see me waving right before your eyes, right? I have both legs on and everything."

Subaru wiggled his scratched-up legs. Rem realized that Subaru was speaking in regards to her confession but meekly shook her head even so.

Rem: "That is...justifying after the fact..."

Subaru: "A wise man once said, 'All's well that ends well.' To be honest, I think I'm the only one who can properly judge the final result considering I've seen the other outcomes."

He'd failed too many times and knew that things could have turned out much worse. Subaru pointed this out to Rem, showing her the flaw in her logic.

Subaru: "That leads me to the second stupid thing, which is you trying to carry everything on your shoulders by yourself."

With a wink, Subaru raised a second finger.

Subaru: "I'm glad you're so worried about me. But don't you think you should ask me about how I feel? You're already assuming I'm mad at you without actually asking."

She'd assumed he'd be mad at her for not getting him back completely uninjured. She also assumed that he'd keep hate and fear in his heart for whatever it was she'd done to him. While it was true that he did hate her for a time, he had forgiven her. The more time he spent around her, the more Subaru had realized Rem's true intentions in that loop.

She had been trying to keep the place she called home safe. It was the place she and her sister called home, and with how Subaru was acting, he appeared to be a threat. Of course, she could have acted more rationally. However, Subaru didn't give off a very trustworthy vibe. He had been asking strange questions and was snooping around the mansion.

Subaru: "As for the third... You know what it is, Rem?"

Rem: "I...do not understand at all. I am always insufficient; I can never reach as far as—"

Subaru: "Yes, that. That's the third stupid thing."

Subaru pointed at Rem and how she never missed a chance to put herself down. Then he raised a third finger and waved the three about.

Subaru: "Rem, just because she's your Nee-sama, you build her up and put yourself down to where it almost kills you... I don't think Ram's always in a stronger position than you, okay? Her stamina's worse than yours, her cooking's lousy, she slacks off work, she makes snide comments... I suppose she thinks a little too much, too?"

In Subaru's mind, Ram's specs were a long way from the pillar of perfection Rem spoke of. She was an older sister with talents behind her younger sister in every area. Surely the sisters themselves were well aware of this. That was what Subaru supposed, but Rem shook her head, rejecting his suggestions.

Rem: "N-no...you are wrong. Nee-sama is truly... If she had her horn, you would never judge her so—"

Subaru: "But Ram doesn't have her horn. So I don't know a Ram like that."

Subaru, cutting off Rem's attempt to firmly deny herself, continued.

Subaru: "The Ram I know is just like I described. She can't hold a candle to you in cooking, sewing, cleaning, politeness, or the way she talks—well, I don't think that last part is a bad thing, really."