Chapter Fifty-Six : Bargained

"What if he asks me to speak Parseltongue?"

"He won't , just hang around the common room , pretend to be studying you don't even need to speak to him at all."

Natty had been starting to panic about our plan. So much for strong and courageous. We walked through the cobbled streets of Diagon Alley. Ruby had taken a left turn near the beginning of the street to meet her potions dealer.

"Couldn't she just have asked Gareth?" Natty said as we bundled out of the cold into Madam Malkin's robe shop.

"No, Gareth is a lovely boy but this needs to be kept under wraps. Better someone we don't know who will just take the money and not ask questions." I closed the shop door, the bell alerting the shop owner to our arrival. The walls weren't visible below the rows and rows and rows of fabric. Natty ran her hands along the material, her hand resting on a shimmery gold.

"Hello, hello! Chilly one today girls! What can I help you with?"

A small dumpy witch appeared from a room that seemed miles away. She hobbled over, wand shoved into a knot in her salt and pepper hair. Her spectacles were sliding down her nose and she pushed them up to inspect her customers.

"Good morning! I have a very important request, it's urgent you see." I said to the witch, approaching the counter. I rummaged around in my book bag. Poppy had refused to have any part in the lying process. Avoiding it all together in favour of visiting her grandmother. She had agreed to draw the sketches for the gowns I was to purchase, but she had left Hogwarts so as not to directly lie to Ominis. In my mind she was still lying by not telling him the truth, but I wasn't about to tell her that.

I placed the book on the counter, the witch snatching it up and raising her eyebrows.

"Did you sketch this? It's very good." She asked , her voice squeaky as she ran her hand across the page.

"No, my friend did. On the following page is the other gown I wish to purchase. I need them for the morning." I said matter of factly. A large donation of gold , courtesy of Ruby, feeling heavy in my coat pocket.

The witch cackled, snapping the book shut and sliding it across the counter towards me. "No, New Year's Eve gowns have to be ordered at least a week in advance. I've still got fifteen gowns to make before the end of the day." She shook her head and went to turn.

"Money is no object." I said. The witch turned and quirked an eye brow. "The fabric alone is expensive...do you require the jewellery also?"

"Just the gowns...please.." I said , trying my hardest not to sound irritated.

I had been awake all night, struggling to sleep with thoughts of what tomorrow held in store. I had come up with a loose plan, but god sees us making plans and he laughs. So I'd tried my best to make peace with fate. But it was a struggle.

"I doubt you could afford it." The witch sniffed, yet she had returned to the counter, her interest piqued.

"How much?" I said, all friendliness falling from my voice. The witch opened the book once more.

"You want it exactly like this? Same colour?"

"It has to be exactly like that. Nothing must change, it's very important." I drummed my fingers impatiently on the table and I felt Natty join me on my right.

The witch appeared to be thinking, how much could she rinse me for? She closed the book, looking over my shoulder to see if anyone could overhear.

"I'll do it for two-hundred galleons. You can collect it tomorrow."