Chapter Fourteen : Seeing

My eyes were burning. Dry. Hardly seeing. A mixture of trying to avoid my nightmares as well as trying  to replay the conversation I had overheard from hours before . The only thing that was crystal clear was Ruby Luka and Sallow all had the same , mysterious  goal. And as of that night that had bled into the golden dry morning , I was going to make it my mission to find out what that goal was.
Nurse Blaine had discharged me just after classes started. She had informed my professors to expect me back the next day, giving me a full free twenty-four hours to get to business. Blaine had explained Professor Onai was expecting me on her first class of the day as she had a free period and had things she wanted to discuss with me.
My heart pattered as I climbed the tower to Divination. Should I tell professor Onai about what I had heard? Would her intuition have already told her? I decided to keep it to myself until I could untangle the clues I had been given. Whether Ruby Sloan , Luka Rossi and Sebastian Sallow were expelled from Hogwarts or not I was sure it wouldn't stop them attempting to find whatever information they needed from me.
The classroom was illuminated in a shroud of golden sun , reflecting through the crystal balls sat on every desk. Professor Onai sat at her table, gazing absentmindedly into the largest of the crystals, her ebony skin was glittering from the light in the window. She was a particularly beautiful witch, forever maternal, with an air of authority which held its own feminine power.
Her eyes drifted up from the ball and into my own. A tight smile spread across her face and she gestured to the seat across from her.
The wooden chair screamed across the floor breaking the calm silence. I winced as it dragged. It felt fitting. My prescience always seemed to cause disruption , taking up too much space. Too much attention. It made me cringe.

"I trust you're feeling better Kitty?" She asked, her eyes re-focusing on the crystal ball.

"I am."

She nodded, eyes still transfixed. "Have you had any more dreams?"

"No, no more dreams...but ...something happened. I think I had a dream while I was awake?"

She nodded. Seeming unsurprised.
"You had a vision. A seer. I always could sense you had the sight."

"No you misunderstand. It wasn't a premonition of the future it was a memory."  I thought back to smashing the potion on the floor. The same potion I had seen Mammy pour into my mouth. A muggle with a potion.

"Kitty , seeing is not as straight forward as visions of the future. I'm almost positive the next vision you have will be of the things still to come. However visions of the past are just as important. We need to use memories and the past to see forward. This is how it will begin for you , and how it begins for most of us with the sight."
She finally took her eyes away from the crystal and summoned a book from the shelf at the back of the class. Allowing it to thump in font of me with a large clunk.

"I think this book will be helpful for you. Studies of the magical mind. It has chapters both on occulmency and natural born seer's. Occulmency is something you will train with both myself and professor Hecat on. It is very important you do not tell me why you need this Kitty. "

Her last comment shocked me. I needed help and a teacher was telling me not to ask for it.

"You're...you're not going to help me?"

Onai shook her head.

"I never said I'm not going to help you. I'm telling you not to tell me why. I think this is something that will have to be done while bending school rules. And while I want to help you I can not be caught breaking rules to do so." 

I nodded , and put the heavy book in my bag.

For an hour Professor Onai told me the basics of protecting my mind from Luka. It would mean he would need to use more penetrative measures to get in my head. His basic mind reading techniques would not work. I pictured a large brick wall in my mind and the stronger I could picture the walls and build protective layers the safer I would be. I put the most sacred memories in boxes and buried them in the dirt in my mind. Mammy, last years ancient magic , Sebastian and Anne.