Reliving the past

Caesar motioned for me to come on stage. I walked out and forced myself to smile as the applause roared. He gestured for me to sit in the chair beside him. As I took my seat I noticed a row of old victors. Zach and Rain were among them as well as Finnick.

He hadn't changed since the last time I saw him. Of course he hadn't, for him it had only been a few days but for me it had been a lifetime. Finnick noticed my stare and sent a reassuring smile with a small thumbs up.

Caesar's voice forced me to tear my eyes away from him. Cameras moved back and forth broadcasting live to all of Panem.

"Amaryllis, I just have one question to ask before we get started..how are you feeling?"

Like dying. I wished I had died in the arena alongside Jase.

"I'm feeling great, Caesar! After all I just won the Hunger Games!" I said with a smile and a joyous voice I didn't recognize. A roar of applause followed my statement. I will never understand how the Capital can be so ignorant and gullible. Caesar cackled grabbing my shoulder for support as he roared with laughter.

"I'm sure you are!" Caesar said calming the audience. "To be honest, many people didn't think you would make it this far." It was an invitation to say some inspiring wise words to the audience. Words I didn't have.

"I told you didn't I?" I said trying to come up with something to distract from the original question. "I wanted to keep it a surprise."

Caesar laughed and the audience applauded. "I just love your spunk..." Once the audience calmed down he changed subjects. "Now during training you received an unusual score which I'm sure played a part in your victory... In fact let's review everything up until then."

Rain had informed me that during the final interview the victor would review everything every aspect of their journey including their games. It sounded like torture to be honest. I would have to relive the horrors I experienced in the games.

The video started with the reaping. It showed my startled face as Jase was chosen and walked up on stage. But then it showed me volunteering and walking up on stage next to Jase. Caliser had been right. We did look really similar.

I felt my chest tighten as I watched the video of Jase. This would be the only way I would be able to see him now. I mean besides the nightmares which he often plagued. I felt my self touch his golden locket which remained around my neck.

There was a montage of our training shown next. It featured me in the simulator and showed Jase easily climbing the rock wall. It also showed a clip of me and him talking together before showing my fight with the trainer. The crowd was awed as I took them down. But all I could focus on was how happy I looked with him.

A few clips were shown of me and Jase huddled together, or training with each other.

"I suppose you were scheming here?" Caesar joked and the crowd laughed, as a clip of us in the corner eyeing the careers was shown.

Actually we were insulting the careers.

It then switched to my private score assessment.

Another loud roar of applause was heard when the number 8 appeared. To be honest 8 wasn't exactly a special number. But seeing me get that number was special to them. Caesar sighed dramatically.

"How I wish we could see what earned you a high score." I smiled and laughed with the crowd. They would never show clips of a little girl nearly killing a guard. The smile was short lived.

Then came the cornucopia.

They showed a clip of all the tributes on their pedestals. I looked like I was analyzing my surroundings. I was glad I didn't look terrified, because I felt terrified. Then the horn sounded.