Chapter 10: Animan

Connor POV

Today was a day where I could relax after a week of school and assignments. However, Dante somehow got my phone and texted Mei if she wanted to go to the zoo, much to my chagrin and embarrassment. 

And she said yes, thinking it was me.

After getting ready, meeting her grandfather and finally seeing Mei, we went to the zoo.

I'm not ready for this. I thought as I saw Mei petting a flying fox, causing me to blush even more.

"Connor? Are you alright?" She asked.

"Y-yeah. Just a bit hot from the weather." I replied, fanning my face.

Mei raised an eyebrow and rested her forehead on mine, causing me to blush even more. She slowly moved away.

"Well, you are a bit warm." She said.

After we bought popcorn, we saw Alya hiding behind a tree, acting suspicious.

"Wonder what she's up to?" Mei asked. 

"Probably getting a new scoop for her blog." I said as I picked up a popcorn.

"Watch this." I said with a grin.

"I wouldn't do it if I were you." Mei said, also grinning eagerly.

I tossed a singular popcorn at her, and hid from her sights.

"Hey! Who did that?! I swear! When I find you I'll-!" Alya raged while Mei and I held in our laughter.

"Not funny, Conner." She pouted.

"Sorry. Couldn't resist. You looked like you were undercover or something. Or are you looking for someone?" I replied.

"N-no! Um...you know, I...I'm starting a new blog about trees! And anything green!" Alya said.

"Uh huh." Mei said unconvinced.

"Oh yeah! Well, what about you two? Are you guys on a date?" Alya countered.

We blushed and looked away from each other.

"No. We're just two friends." I said.

"Hanging out. As usual." Mei added.

"Right. Come on, let's go and see Marinette and the others." Alya said.

After an hour of walking around, we saw a black panther in all its glory.

"Wow. What a majestic creature." Mei said in awe.

"Majestic and deadly. Look at the size of that thing!" I replied.

"They eat more than a single piece of meat. With a balanced diet, they can run at speeds in excess of 60 miles per hour." Max said.

"60 miles per hour? Is that all? I thought panthers were much faster than that. I bet that I could beat it in a race." Kim replied confidentiality.

"That is unless you want to get eaten." I muttered while the girls giggled.

The man who fed the panther looked at Kim if he were insane.

"Impossible. No human being could compete with my panther." He said, petting the panther.

"Don't try it, man. No one can outrun a panther. Hell, even Usain Bolt can't beat him!" I said.

"Might as well back out while you can." Mei added.

Kim ignored us and faced the duo.

"What place did your cat come in at the County Athletics Tournament?" Kim taunted, much to the panther's chagrin.