Chapter 5: Mr Pigeon

Mei POV

" You have one day to work on a fashion piece of your own design. in ten hours, your finished presentation will be judged by the great fashion designer, Gabriel Agreste, the father of our student, Adrien Agreste, who will be modelling the winning design." Principle Damocles announced to the class.

I looked to my left and saw Marinette getting excited and gushing about how she'll work hard to impress Adrien with her design. My gaze turned to Adrien, who was nervous about the upcoming competition.

"The project today is derby hats!" Damocles announced.

Marinette groaned in dismay. I noticed that Chloe was giving the thumbs down to Marinette while Francis was chuckling, much to Conner's chagrin. In retaliation, he held up his hands and did a jack-the-box motion with his left hand while slowly showing them the middle finger with his right hand, chuckling.

Francis had a look of outrage on his face while Chloe and Sabrina gasped in response and glared at him in response. They turn back ahead and see that Isabella was sketching in a sketchpad.

Once class was finished, everyone who was participating left to come up with designs. I noticed Marinette pacing around in thought, looking at her designs while Connor and Alya sat on the bench.

"Hey, guys. What's up?" I asked.

"Hey, Mei. We're just coming up with some ideas for the project." Alya said.

"Any luck?" 

"It's a working process." Conner replied.

Suddenly, Marinette started her outburst.

"Derby hat, derby hat, derby hat, derby hat...! I don't have any derby hat designs. I've got top hats, caps, even two-horned hats! Need a beret? I'm your girl. A sombrero? No problem-o. But a derby?! You know what? It won't even matter, 'cause I'll probably make a total fool of myself at the event, most likely trip over our derby and collapse on Mr. Agreste; give him a full-blown concussion and Adrien will hate me! I'll never be a world-renowned fashion designer. MY LIFE IS OVER!"

She collapsed onto Conner's lap in dismay.

"There, there." He said, petting her.

"You two made up?" I asked.

"Yeah. Still, it won't be easy. We got some competition." He replied, pointing to Chloe, Sabrina and Isabella.

"All this over a derby hat?" Alya asks, "Let me see your sketchpad, girl." the bluenette hands her sketchpad over to her, "There must be something in here."

"Forget it, I'm a disaster zone. I'll probably mess everything up in the end." Marinette looks depressed.

If you talk like that. I thought.

"Wow, Alya, those are some awesome designs." Adrien comments as he leans against the wall, scaring Marinette into hiding, "I didn't know you had such mad skills."

"Uh, thanks Adrien, but I can't take the credit. These sick designs belong to Marinette." Alya gestures to the bluenette, who was hiding behind the bench, waving and smiling creepily, "Off the chain, right?"

"You're super talented, Marinette. You seriously have a good chance of winning." Adrien says, causing Marinette to blush.

"Well, um, yeah! We like-um, designs that-um..." Marinette trails off as Connor makes motions to her, "Go upwards?" Adrien raises an eyebrow in confusion as Connor facepalmed. "Um, while stopping...I mean, uh-Thanks?"