Interlude - Rem

Mulai dari awal

Once he had awakened he had already caused trouble for Beatrice, one of the mansion's inhabitants, before falling unconscious once again. The sisters were asked to keep an eye on him once he awoke for a second time. However, when that happened...

Subaru: "Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!"

He immediately started screaming, attempts to calm him down didn't work. Emilia was brought in to help calm him down. Rem had stayed behind to listen in on their conversation. She did not trust this new visitor at all. But what she overheard was something she couldn't have imagined.

Subaru: "Emilia... Several times up until now, I've died and gone back in time."

How was she supposed to understand this information? Was it a lie designed to deceive those around him? Was he simply insane? However, he continued to talk about this ability, and his experiences with it to Emilia, as well as the danger that would target the mansion in the coming days.

Eventually, the boy revealed his ability to the whole mansion, coming up with a strategy to smoke out the incoming enemy. Was everyone else naive? Did they not find it odd? His claims were the definition of insanity, there was no way one could travel back in time. Even if magic was used, they wouldn't go back very far. She had to poke and prod him, find the cracks in his story, and prove to everyone he was lying, that he was a fraud trying to deceive them.

When they were taking his measurements she began to question his plan. All of a sudden...

Subaru: "Exactly, you can't. Even Roswaal, your master, told you both to follow the plan I came up with."

He always seemed nervous around her, but right then he snapped. Seemingly angry at Rem for no apparent reason. It didn't make sense. For what reason would he be so angry at her?

When she ran after him, he apologized. She had questioned what would make him snap at her. Was it something that had happened in a different loop, if he was telling the truth? He then told her that it didn't matter, talked to her about a strange concept, and left.

She later talked to him during the night, where he proclaimed he would trust her. She didn't understand, for what reason would he need to proclaim that? Did he have a problem trusting her before, and if so, why?

The next day Rem and her sister accompanied Subaru to the village, aiding him in his plan. When they went back to see Beatrice, she was shocked. Subaru was in fact, cursed. Someone in the village had cursed him, which meant Subaru had been telling the truth the whole time.

She had been harboring all this hate, all this resentment, all this distrust, just to have it thrown back in her face. He wasn't lying, he really had been dying and going back in time over and over again.

As they raced towards the village only one thought had entered her mind.

Rem: "What happened to Subaru-kun in the previous loop for him to have such a massive amount of mistrust towards me when he woke up?"

It ate away at her. The screaming when he woke up, the uneasiness when he was around her, the times he snapped at her, his declaration to trust her.

When she thought about it, she could only remember how she felt towards him. She hated him and thought he was deceiving everyone. The worst-case scenario flashed through Rem's mind.

Rem: "I must have hurt Subaru-kun badly."

Of course, she couldn't do anything right. The only person who was perfect was her sister. Her sister could do anything, she was strong, and always made her feel safe. Her sister was with her so there was nothing to worry about.

Subaru: "It's alright Rem, I believe in you. So I wanna act based on that trust."

Even after everything, he was willing to trust her, why? Even after everything, he wanted her help, why? Even after everything, he wanted her to be happy, why? Why would someone who she had obviously hurt, most likely killed, believe in her?

As he ran off with her sister, she felt a warmth that words could not express.

After Rem had handed the children over to the young men of the village, relying on the Witches Scent to reach Subaru and her sister once more, she had found them in a life-and-death situation, surrounded by a pack of Mabeasts.

As Subaru ran, Rem helped protect him by killing approaching Mabeasts. She felt like she had to help him, that she had to do everything to repay him. It felt like it would never be enough to repay the pain she had caused him, but still, she carried on, doing everything she could to protect him.

The next moment, Rem sustained an impact that plunged her mind into darkness. In its place, her demon instincts took over, and she began an indiscriminate slaughter. She learned the pleasure of making flesh fly apart. She felt delight at indulging in her power, completely forgetting her goal. Her demon instincts demanded more blood, more lives-

The collision against her back had sent Rem flying, dulling her reactions. Something was holding her down. When she looked behind her, she saw Subaru's face. The relief on it snapped Rem from reflex to rational thought.

She saw a ferocious demon beast right next to him, its fangs drawing near. She needed to jump, to reach out, to save him—so thought Rem when suddenly, the miasma tickled her nose. That made her delay her decision by a single moment. And then...

Subaru: "Gaaaaaah!"

In that instant, Rem realized that she wasn't any different from the Rem who had hurt Subaru. Because she had let him get hurt again.

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Authors Note

I hope you enjoy this chapter, and got a little better insight into how Rem has felt about recent events. I really enjoyed this chapter in the Light Novel because we get to understand Rem's feelings about Subaru better, and how they've evolved over the course of the Arc.

I'll see you guys again once I finish the next chapter.