Chapter 23: "Marie"

- This is home -

01:43 ━━━━●───── 03:50

I don't remember how long our hug lasted but at some point James received a notification and another. After the fifth notification, he decided to take a look at his phone. It was in their group chat, Max was asking if I arrived home safely and Silver precise I wasn't responding on my phone. Then Liam sends three messages just to make James's phone ring. 

We sigh and he responds that I'm alright. Liam starts a call. 

"Hi," he says before the others imitate him. 

James shuffles a laugh. 

"Hello guys," he responds. 

He looks at me. Oh, I'm supposed to say hi too? 

"Is 'Marie' with you? Is she alright?"

"Yeah, she is. Come on."

"I'm alright Liam," I reassured him. 

I can hear Silver in the back saying 'I told you' but Liam ignored him. 

" 'Marie', will you spend tomorrow with us to replace today?"

James looks at me. Right, he doesn't know I was supposed to spend the day with his group. 

" You spent the day with them? Are you alright, 'Marie'? No sane person would do that."

"Yeah, he's right- hey, James! That's mean. Are you saying we're weird? "

"To answer you Liam," I say," maybe. I don't know yet." 

On the other side of the phone, I can hear Liam smile. 

"Cool! We'll leave you two. See you tomorrow!"

We don't have the time to answer that the phone call has already ended. James put his phone away and smiled. I want to ask him where's Lyndsey and why can't I find my stuff in her room but I don't think it's worth ruining the moment. 

We walk to the living room and I see marie. I forgot she waited here when I entered the house. Somehow, I think I should tell James about our discussion and about ... the board. Maybe only the discussion for now. I sit on the couch while he looks for snacks in the kitchen. 

"So you stick with the group when I'm not here?" He asked, amused. "I was surprised when Liam told me that this morning."

This morning?

"What do you mean? They told me you weren't answering." 

"I wasn't. I left Liam on read and the other too. Anyway, how was it?"

I shrug. I don't know how it was. 

"It wasn't unpleasant, I guess. I'm not sure." 

He sits on the couch -not next to me- and offers me a drink. We discussed a moment before I got into the topic. Talking about marie isn't something I enjoy. Even though she isn't here at the moment she'll know because she has full access to my every thought. Unfortunately, for me, I don't have the same power as her. 

As I brought the subject up in our discussion, James listened. He didn't say a word when I told him about what she said earlier. Neither did he when I explained what I responded and why. When I was done bragging about that spirit, he got up and sat next to me. 

"I'm proud of you. I'm happy you can stand against her."

– Really? 

"Yes, but you're wrong, 'Marie'."

We look at each other. Why am I wrong? Does that mean marie was right?

"I'm sure your friends and family are looking for you in France. It takes time, more than six months and a half. But this time is worth waiting for, don't you think?"

"How will I be sure it's them? I don't have my memory to confirm it."

"Time, always time. But if you feel unsure of what you should do you can stay here. You might not belong here in the first place but, now ... you do: you have your place here no matter what. In the end, it will be your decision."

'Place'? I remember now. Liam mentioned something like that. 'Where I want to be' that's what he said. I'm not sure I know yet but for now I want to stay here. James as my older brother is all I need as a relative. He smiled and we changed the subject. 

An hour later, Lindsey entered the house. She looked like she had a good sleep. She looked at us, surprised. 

"Marie? What are you doing here? I thought you'd finish class in two hours." 

"Yeah...but I'm skipping class."

James gave me a tap in the back. 

"She was worried about you." 

Lyndsey smiles. She has such a gentle smile...so fragile. She walks to us and sits next to me. Am I getting surrounded by the Millers? Looks like it. 

"I'm alright, thank you, Marie. After James told me you were fine, I had a wonderful sleep last night. No nightmare or anything."

I sigh. At least he is gone. Somehow, I'm relieved. Lyndsey handed me a letter. 

"I'm going back to my house tonight."

"You're leaving?" I ask, disappointed. 

"Yep, my boyfriend is coming to get me. But ! I bought you a SIM so you can join me at any time. I wrote my number on the back of the letter. Add me when you feel like it. I'm sorry you have to take my old broken phone."

Uh? What's happening? She brought me a SIM so I can call and text her? And she's leaving. What's happening? This is too much. I can't-. 

"Talking about that," interrupt James, "you probably saw that your stuff wasn't in Lyndsey's room anymore."

I nod automatically. My brain isn't connected anymore. We get up and walk to the first floor. James opened the room I was sleeping in when Lyndsey was occupying her bedroom. My stuff is here. My books and clothes I left. And there's also my crayons. 

"You are a Miller so you must have your own room and not occupy someone else's room, explain Lyndsey. Now you can decorate it the way you like." 

My own room? That's funny. Since I got here it's the first thing I own. It's always someone else's stuff. Book, clothes, phone and room are all Lyndsey's. But this room is mine. I don't know what to say. I want to thank them. But wait this was the guest's room, where is it now?

"I mean no one actually stayed for the night in this house, laugh James. Usually, we are the one to go somewhere. So don't worry about it."

"Je sais pas- I don't know what to say, thank you ?" 

They smile. James decide we're doing a movie night because the parents aren't here. He leaves to prepare some food. Leaving Lyndsey and I. She looks at me and asks me to follow her in her room. We stand before my board covered by the curtain. 

"I didn't open it, she says. I told James to not open it when we were moving your stuff. If you want to move it, I let some tools in your room."

"Thank you Lyndsey."

She winks and we leave the room. James was waiting for us in the living room. They chose the movie 'The maze runner' , I think it was. Slowly the pain in my throat flew away and I was feeling  better. Even though I slept last night, I'm still exhausted and I fell asleep before I could even know.