Although, fitting into this new team and getting them to include me would be another task. I had to cultivate relationships and every day counted.

As I followed the written directions and turned away from the main room, I subtly looked around like a curious new subordinate.

I catalogued the various workspaces, keeping my eyes and ears open for any piece of useful information and looking at all the cameras installed.

I hadn't bought any bugs with me today because the security was tight and sneaking in bugs- even if Marcello claimed they wouldn't be detected- was a risk I wasn't willing to take on the first day. It was better to familiarise myself with my surroundings before taking any steps.

Once I was done with my business and touched up my morph red lipstick, I walked back to my seat and prepared myself to see more gruesome and bloody pictures.

Despite the fact that I came here for nefarious reasons, I was doing something god for a short while and that...

That made me feel like my life had some meaning for once.

—🎭—

"I'll drop you home."

The scent of bergamot and the surprising words forced me to turn my head and raise a brow as Erex came to stand next to me.

I stood by the entrance to the office, watching as everyone clocked out and the rain turned to a drizzle. Waiting while I scrolled aimlessly on my phone. Waiting for this exact moment and this exact offer.

And when things went according to my plans, I felt like a Cheshire cat.

He met my multi-colored eyes, hands in pockets like usual, exuding confidence. "We're neighbours. We should save gas and help the environment." Then he snapped his fingers, "Also save money and cultivate a healthy neighbourly relationship."

I narrowed my eyes at him, not saying a word as I let him think that there was a chance I'd give in.

His lips curved upwards, "What do you say, Miss Skeats? Don't I make a good argument?"

"Indeed, you must be truly talented in arguing." I acknowledged, "That makes sense."

While giving a quick and curt answer would be the smart choice if you were actually avoiding your neighbour, I had no such reasons. I was going to reel him in and answer in roundabout ways, increasingly so as time would pass so that it felt like a natural transition.

He exhaled dramatically, "Alright. I get the point." Then he ran a hand through his soft-looking raven hair, a slight stubble ever present. "Let's be practical though."

We both waved at Zeke as he walked out with Finn and a few other men trailing behind him. I wondered if Erex planned on making it common knowledge at the office that we were neighbours. Not that it went against any code of conduct but it'd lead to rumours and gossip.

And more unwanted attention on me.

I sighed as if in defeat. "For the environment. And the money." Shooting him a sharp look, "Don't think this changes anything."

"Not at all." He smoothly drawled out, an amused lilt to his tone as he brought out his keys and a black SUV unlocked in the distance.

"Ladies first." He splayed out his hand in front of him in a mockery.

The raindrops met my skin as I headed towards the car, my heels clicking against the tiles.

I rolled my eyes. "Pretending to be a gentleman must get tiring, it's better to drop the charade."