Part 94: Jinx

I'm not sure what it was hanging 'round my neck

I'm certain it had plans to take what it could get

I thought if I could burn out the sun

Then everyone would be with me in the shade

I think I'm turning homeward again

And I'm praying you will open the gates

Will you let me in?

Let me stay?

________________________________________________________________________________

I make Vi use her gauntlet to carry the barrel of Clotstech out of the lab and drag the wagon through the streets while I run ahead with the demo bottles and Squeaker. I reassure her that it's not a tub of acid or a bioweapon, but she's not fully convinced, and neither is Ekko when me and her show up at the back entrance.

"No," he says, not bothering to start with a hello. I look at the barrel, surprised. It does have a neon green skull spray-painted on it, but it's nothing to worry about. Just branding.

"It needs a demonstration," I say.

"Whatever that is definitely doesn't need a demonstration."

"It's not bad. It'll help you." I shake the bottles. "Can I at least bring these? And Squeaker? She's just a glitter bomb."

He scowls. So do the guards standing outside the door. "You'll need to go up on the balcony, and the Firelights will watch from a distance."

"No problemo." I can give them a close-up once they've chilled out.

Ekko and one guard, still scowling, push the cover the rest of the way off the entrance so we can go in. Vi leaves the wagon and her gauntlet in the tunnel and sticks close to me even though I'm acting like I don't need her to.

"Want me to go with you?" she asks.

"No. I can do it myself."

"I know you can."

Scrutiny moves our way as we step into the sunlight. Some old guy glares, but his little kid grins toothily and waves. I grin toothily and wave back. I'm still tempted to be a dead fish again and make Vi carry me to a treehouse where I can languish forever without meeting anyone's eyes. The only thing is, I want to meet eyes now.

Ekko signals to Scar on the balcony. Scar calls for attention and has everyone move, muttering, into the central area; I strut through the people and up the steps to trade places with him, pretending I think I belong, even though I know I don't. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

Still.

"Hi," I say. "I'm Jinx."

Crickets. I giggle. As if they don't know who I am.

"I brought you a gift," I say, setting Squeaker and the black bottle on the rail so I can hold the silver bottle up in the air. "It's something I invented: a metal alloy infused with Shimmer and Hextech. Watch this."

I take a blade from my belt and slash my lifted arm. Gasps rise from the crowd. Vi and Ekko, at the front, look at me in abject horror, but before they can come running, I take the bottle into my other hand and spray a layer of mist over the wound. Though they probably can't see it very well, the sheen solidifies over my skin in approximately 1.2 seconds and the excess crumbles off, leaving a narrow silver channel across my forearm like a vein in marble. I turn so everyone can see it glint. They stand silent in confusion.