Part 87: Vi

And I don't know why

But with you I'd dance

In a storm

In my best dress

Fearless

________________________________________________________________________________

Dinner is what I was dreading most, even more than chatting up the guests. It's a relief to track down Powder and Ekko, but we still end up sitting with the Kirammans, and while Tobias gives me a reassuring nod when I put my napkin on my lap in an imitation of Caitlyn, Cassandra can be seen grimacing for half a second when she observes my elbow on the table. I start thinking at the end of the "first course" that I should've learned some etiquette after all. It doesn't help that this is the longest period of time I've spent in their presence since they found those bruises on their precious heir.

The one upside is that eating gives me an excuse not to say much, since they'd probably faint if they saw me talk with my mouth full. Caitlyn makes dull political conversation with them and Xelin and her sister; Powder, Ekko, and the Hextech boy geniuses chatter about science on my other side. I find that discussion charming, except for when Talis gets the spotlight.

Powder's throwing me for a loop today. She's showing off her lash scars and a cigar burn I had no idea about like she doesn't care at all— and I'll be glad if that's the case, but I'm not convinced it is. Not that I have any clue what else could be going on. All I know for sure is that I'm better off not bugging her about it.

Twice as perplexing is that fact that she let Caitlyn style her hair. There's no way Caitlyn would suggest it, so Powder must have sought her out. I'm guessing it has something to do with their talk at the shooting range, and I'm happier than I know I should be, but I can't help it. I didn't expect Powder to ever go that route. It's opening all kinds of doors in my mind that I'm aware I need to keep shut.

It's just... Caitlyn.

Her impassioned rambling when she drew those hair squares. Her graceful, unblemished hands carrying mine across the keyboard in that soundless room. She's downright aristocratic, strung with gold, high heels lifting her halfway to the sky— I have to look up even farther than usual to catch her gaze, but it only took a smile and a kiss on the hand to fluster her. She didn't hide it as good as she thought she did. Resisting the urge to tease her while we're in company is almost as hard as listening to her mom drone about tax policies.

Most of the food skeeves me out, but we get chocolate cake for dessert. I watch Caitlyn take the fork set sideways in front of her plate and take mine from the same spot. I've been doing it the whole meal, even wrapping my fingers around the properly-picked utensils in the weird way she does, except this time she's drifted away from her discussion and catches me in the act.

"Don't do that," she says out of the side of her mouth, feigning focus on Cassandra.

I put the fork down and glare to cover my inexplicable embarrassment. I didn't know my clumsiness was that obvious. "Oh, sorry. Was I supposed to just be born knowing all your stupid high-class customs?"

She frowns, then quickly turns to me, ditching her mom. "No," she says, slightly alarmed. "I meant, don't try to emulate the customs at all. Just eat how you normally would. It's okay."

My indignance cools down, but my cheeks stay warm. I remember Lenara sucking syrup off her plate the first time I stayed here and mutter, "Your parents won't appreciate that."

"Well, at least hold your fork more comfortably."

I pick it back up, putting my fingers in the right place. Caitlyn nods and turns back to Cassandra, and I check on Powder and Ekko, who are both eating like trenchers without a second thought. I'm not sure when I started caring about Piltie peer pressure, but I'm gonna need to stamp it out fast.

Sister CitiesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara