Part 85: Caitlyn

This night is sparkling

Don't you let it go

I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home

I'll spend forever wondering if you knew

I was enchanted to meet you

________________________________________________________________________________

I was secretly reluctant to trust Jinx's feedback in case she meant to play me for a fool, but the gown she chose truly is lovely: the exact black of my favorite strappy heels, with a sweetheart neckline and tiered off-shoulder sleeves, simple enough to allow me to accessorize however I please. I get carried away experimenting. When I'm settled, layered strands of gold loop about my waist, and three gold necklaces break up the bare plane of my chest. I wind my hair up in my hand and try on my half-mask in front of the mirror, vaguely giddy.

I wonder what Vi will think. She would sooner die than wear anything in its vein, but does she appreciate gowns and jewelry on other girls? I'm certain she supports me wearing whatever I prefer, but will she like it? Sincerely? Perhaps I should have asked. Not that I would let anybody's opinion besides my own dictate my choice in clothing. I am simply someone who values informed decisions.

Just as I'm about to start styling my hair, a knock sounds on the door. In case it's Vi, I stay behind it when I open it to hide my costume, but it's Ekko. Green paint and glitter frame his eyes.

"Oh, you look gorgeous!" I blurt out. "Are they meant to be firelights' wings?"

He laughs. "Yeah. Jinx did them. You probably look good too, but..."

"Oh! Come in!" I say, waving urgently. As soon as he's across the threshold, I close the door. "I'm not supposed to let Vi see me before the ball," I explain. "Jinx thinks it will make the reveal much more romantic."

"Are you sure she's not messing with you?"

The possibility hadn't even crossed my mind. "I hope not," I say. "She picked out this dress, and she wasn't messing with me then. Was she?" I add on second thought, scanning myself in concern.

"No," Ekko assures me, suppressing another laugh. "You look great."

"Thank you." I go back to the mirror to continue work on my chignon. "What can I help you with?"

"Nothing. I just have something for you."

I turn, surprised. He draws a closed hand from his jacket pocket.

"It's not really anything," he says. "But we have a refugee who does wood carving, so I commissioned them. I just thought you might like it."

He opens his hand, letting a chain dangle, pulled down by the weight of a pendant. I step closer and find that it's a tiny, precise, wood-hewn hourglass, with cutouts at the center of each bulb so that it resembles the graffitied symbol of the Firelights.

I reach out. Ekko drops the necklace into my palm and fidgets in my periphery as I take a closer look.

"I just thought you might like it," he says again. "You always seem to try to wear your Firelight accessories, but I figure there are times you can't do that, so I thought you might want something subtler."

I face the mirror and clasp the chain on. It's the longest of my necklaces, the hourglass sitting under all the gold, a focal point.

"You don't have to wear it tonight," Ekko says. "I know it doesn't go with—"

I spin and throw my arms around him. It's a good thing that I haven't done my makeup yet, because I feel tears prickle my waterlines.

"Whoa," he says after a second, hugging me back. "Good. I thought you hated it."