Part 80: Ekko

'Cause I don't mind waiting around

'Cause, darling, who else am I waiting for?

________________________________________________________________________________

 Today's Council meeting is scheduled for mid-morning. Esther, Xelin, and Quartz are planning to get IDed afterward, but Vi wanted to go at dawn to beat the lines, so I show up at Caitlyn's house in time for breakfast— stuff we raid from the pantry, since Mariette isn't finished cooking— so we can go together. Caitlyn's coming along as moral support. Jinx is refusing to take part in the program for the time being, as is her right, but she's coming too so she can piss the rest of us off. She's convinced the government will use the unpersonalized information she'd be giving up to screw her over. The fact that all her crimes have been officially pardoned and the government already knows exactly who and where she is doesn't change her mind.

We have an army of Piltovians hired to run the registration. Lumley and Councilor Kiramman insisted that trenchers couldn't be in charge, because they might pull strings to get themselves more than they're entitled to. Me and the others went with it to keep them happy. I designed the devices we're using, so I can pull any strings I want whenever I want. Not that I will. We argued our way into what we need already.

The whole situation is surreal. One of the most glaring truths in the Undercity up till now was how close you were at any given time to ruin. To no electricity. No mattress. No roof. No food. There was always a life to lead, and it could even be a good one, but you knew what it came down to at the end of the day: fight and steal and scrape and beg and hope, and do it well, or die with nothing.

From here out, we'll always have something.

The Topside streets are quiet and lit pink when we set off. Jinx leads the way, skipping sky-high and disappearing behind things she shouldn't be able to disappear behind. Caitlyn keeps a close eye on her. Vi trails behind, rereading the copy I wrote for her of what we put in the law books with a faint frown. She's not worried the government will screw her over— she just thinks voluntarily letting it perceive her goes against all laws of nature and is trying to get used to it. If she didn't have Jinx to take care of, I'm betting she'd turn the program down too.

I fall into step with her, drawing her attention away from the papers. She smiles and crumples them into her jacket pocket.

"I'm kind of regretting having that conversation with you," she says. "Now you're too busy bonding with your friends to spend any time with me."

"Shit. You're gonna need a new babysitter."

She cuffs me on the back of the head and links our arms. "Also regretting saying I'm okay with you being a smartass."

"Too late."

"Well, smartass, tell me this: did you know that Topside apartment we robbed belonged to Jayce Talis?"

"Yeah," I say, then get a glimpse of her glower. "Did you not?"

"Why would I? You were the only one who saw him when he came to Benzo's. Me and Caitlyn just figured it out yesterday by accident."

"Wow." I study her in my peripheral vision, searching for bad signals, but she seems okay. "Is it gonna be a problem?"

She snorts. "If anyone else finds out. Cupcake's mom would shoot my head off and Talis would open that smug mouth of his and start yapping on about laws and integrity."

I tilt my head back, gazing over the awnings. I can't count how many times I've tried to convince myself that what happened at the cannery wasn't on me for giving them that tip. After the smartass conversation, I think I'm finally getting it through my skull.