Chapter Fifteen

"Do you swear to uphold the laws of the state, the country, and the oaths of Duine leadership?" The archbishop asked.

Fionna nodded, the heavy cloak starting to weigh on her. "So do I swear on my life."

"Recite the Duine oaths of leadership." He stated. 

Fionna turned to view the filled cathedral. "I swear to lead this country with the heart of a lion. I swear to lead it as compassionately as a parent. I swear to try my best to give my people plenty, and to help them when there is not. I swear to not lead them into war blindly, but to instead try and extend the hand of peace instead. If peace fails, I promise to lead my people into battle personally, without fear. I promise not to leave the country without a ruler, and to suffer if my people suffer, and thrive if my people thrive."

She looked back at the bishop, who placed a heavy crown on top of her head. "Duine, rise and greet your new Queen, Fionna!"

The cathedral erupted into thunderous applause, and Fionna smiled weakly. Soon, the ceremony was over, and she was allowed to change back into the uniform that she had settled into wearing for so long.

"Any news from the Unknown Lands?" Fionna asked.

"No, not directly. Patrols at the edge of their waters and on Middleground say that they are gearing up for a war, subtly. Their community at Middleground is disappearing, little by little, but much faster than just natural deaths. Dulce says that they've called for a more intensive trade." Cake replied.

Fionna sighed, before asking, "Where is the ambassador?"

"Um, well... we picked Olivia the Advisor, since she's crazy enough to not be eaten, and can usually get her point across. She was last seen disembarking the Cairo on Middleground Island, so we can only hope that she got the message. As for the retraction, no word from the Unknown Lands yet."

"Marshall wouldn't bring us into war, would he?" Fionna asked quietly.

Cake shrugged. "You know that pirate better than I do. But..."

"But?"

"Prince Gumball is here."

"Oh. Send him into the Advisors' Chambers. I'll see him there."

"Fionna, if your precious demon doesn't come through... maybe you should start looking at Dulce as an option."

"He's only half-demon." Fionna smiled slightly.

"Regardless, you know I'm right. And you're going to need to pick your advisors soon."

Fionna nodded slightly, then sat on her father's throne.

Lord Monochromicorn and Prince Gumball came in, and both bowed.

"Queen Fionna, congratulations on your coronation." Gumball said.

"Thank you, Prince Gumball." Fionna replied, feeling as if the crown and the cloak were still weighing her down instead of being returned to the hall of relics. "But I doubt that you came all this way for a 'congratulations'."

"Queen Fionna, I come to discuss the terms of the alliance that your father made with me."

Fionna stiffened. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, Prince Gumball, but the alliance is forfeited until further notice."