Chapter Two

"Try to outrun her!" Fionna ordered, taking the helm.

"We can't outrun the Shadow! It's named that specifically because you can't outrun it!" Cake replied.

"We have to try." Fionna said firmly.

"Why would he be after us, anyway? He doesn't attack Navy ships unless they're in a convoy." Cake muttered.

"I don't know, and I'd rather not find out." Fionna said as the Shadow kept pace with them. "Let's try to lose them in the fog."

They moved deeper into the fog. Fionna looked around, before sighing with relief. "There's no sign of them."

Suddenly, a ship loomed out of the fog, right ahead of them. Fionna tried to turn the Silver Sword, but the sides of the ships still ground against one another.

The crew of the Shadow quickly threw hooks over the side of the ship, and tied the ships together. Several of them crossed over, including the captain, who was smirking. "Go see if anyone is below decks." He ordered, before moving closer to Fionna. He examined her uniform, then smirked. "So tell me, Captain, where's your cargo?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Come now, Captain. I don't attack Duine Navy ships unless they're in a convoy. Everyone knows that. Now, where is your princess? I can't have her reaching Dulce shores, now can I?"

Fionna's heart began pounding. He doesn't realize. "Why would I betray my princess like that?" She replied.

"Because first of all, I have no intention of hurting her. I just want to keep her out of Gumbutt's hands. But, I might have to force your hand, which I don't want to do."

"You're a monster." Fionna snapped.

The captain of the Shadow cocked his head. "I prefer the term half-demon. Now if you and your friend would kindly follow me down to the deck..."

The crew of the Shadow had lined up the crew of the Silver Sword. "I've got to say, I admire your surrender greatly, Captain. It saved me so much time." The captain of the Shadow grinned at Fionna.

Fionna glared at him. "Let them go."

"As soon as I find what I came for." He answered breezily. "Now, would the princess kindly step forward?"

Fionna stepped forward, along with every other female crew member.

The captain of the Shadow looked unamused. "Alright. Carl, let's review, since they plan on being difficult. What color is the princess' hair?"

"Blonde." A little demon next to him read off of a list. "Like the sun."

A large amount of female crew members stepped back, realizing that it was futile.

"Honestly, I admire this display of loyalty, but this is annoying. Age, Carl?"

"18, sir."

The visibly older crew members stepped back as well.

"Rank, Carl?" The captain asked, his eyes fixed on Fionna.