Chapter Six

Marshall and Fionna went to the helm, and Marshall immediately paled at what he saw. In front of them were the Royal Pride and the Silver Sword, spaced so that there was barely enough room for a ship between them, and even that was close to closing quickly. The way onto this path had been blocked by fishing boats, so the Shadow had no choice but to sail this way.

Fionna noticed the way that the ships were listing on opposite sides. "They've pushed most of their cannons to one side, thinking we'd... Marshall, do you trust me?"

"Of course I do." He answered without hesitation.

"Then sail straight through them."

He stared at her. "Sail straight through...? We're supposed to survive this, right?"

Fionna nodded. "We'll make it through okay. Just trust me. The port side cannons of the Silver Sword have been moved to the deck on starboard side, because they thought we would go around. The ones that haven't are rusted and unusable. There's no way that they would have been able to replace them on Middleground so quickly. The cannons on the Royal Pride have also been moved. They want us to go down without much of a fight."

"But you're here, and they know it."

"I'm a strong swimmer." She smiled grimly, and he stared at her. "They don't... the Pride might not know, but the Sword? Fionna..."

"I must ask something of you, though." She said. "Load the cannons."

Marshall considered this, then sighed. "And have something to put it out with standing by?"

"Of course. We can live off of rum for a while if we run out of water prematurely." She responded. "Aim for the masts— they can't follow us if the ships are crippled, but they are still my people and I don't want them dead."

Marshall blinked, before nodding at the helmsman. "Well? What are you waiting for? Load the cannons!"

The helmsman scurried away, and Marshall smiled bitterly, taking the helm. "If this doesn't work... I love you."

"I love you too." Fionna told him, leaning against him. He kissed the top of her head, and they began to sail through. The hulls of the ships groaned as they clashed against each other.

"Close the gap!" The helmsman of the Silver Sword yelled across to the Royal Pride, not that they could be heard over the noise of the hulls and the ocean.

The Shadow fired two precise shots, leading to the masts of the Silver Sword and Royal Pride coming down simultaneously. The Royal Pride managed to return fire at least once, but it was inconsequential compared to the damage that the Shadow wrought.

Marshall picked Fionna up and spun her, before pulling her into a long kiss, as the Shadow came into the open ocean. "That was amazing. You're amazing."

She smiled. "Thanks. But I have to get back to the Silver Sword and the Royal Pride."

"Hahaha, nice joke." He said.

"It wasn't a joke, Marshall. I need to know why they were planning on firing on us, what their plan would have been if we had been hurt. None of this was endorsed by my father, or one of the admirals, and certainly not by me. And I need to help them rebuild as they get back into Middleground Island's port."

"They were just trying to prevent us from leaving." Marshall replied. "They never thought we'd actually try and risk the crossing."

"Then why would they push the cannons?" Fionna asked. "They were obviously loaded, by what the Royal Pride just did. They need me more right now."

"I need you." Marshall responded.

"But you're not under my jurisdiction, and your ship is mostly fine." Fionna said gently.

"That's not what I meant, and you know it. You know what'll happen if you go back? You'll have to marry Gumwad. You'll be nothing but a little doll for him to put on a shelf and look at from time to time, and you'll never get to have the sea again. Is that worth it?"

"I'll do what I need to do to help my country." Fionna responded quietly. "Even if I have to give up you and the sea, and swordfighting, and everything else that I love."

"Why? Why do you have to repress everything amazing about you for them? They just tried to kill you!"

"The entire country didn't try to kill me, and the crew of the Royal Pride looked surprised to see me. The crew of the Silver Sword and I have been through worse scrapes, they know I can take it." Fionna argued.

"And what about me? Am I just supposed to forget that you exist as you disappear without a trace?!" Marshall hissed. "Am I just supposed to lose you in the name of nobility?!"

"No. But I am going to ask you to honor your word, and just let me go if I win a duel with you." Fionna said firmly. "I-I've made my choice."

"So you have." Marshall muttered. "So you have."

"And I... I'm sorry. I wish it didn't end this way."

"No you're not. If you were truly sorry, you wouldn't be doing this." He growled.

"I would have felt sorry no matter which route I chose! But I need to do this, whereas I want to stay with you. I want it so badly. But I can't have that, because I have a responsibility to the people of Duine!"

"Let me get my sword then." Marshall snapped. "And don't forget what happens if I win, Princess."

He stormed down to the deck, then into his quarters. When he returned, Fionna was already on the deck, sword drawn.

Marshall carefully drew his sword, and the fight began. Fionna quickly moved forward, and he parried her almost immediately. Next he attempted to jab at her, which she dodged effortlessly.

And so they moved around each other, both taking their turn to dodge and attack with limited success. Finally, Fionna went in for the kill and disarmed Marshall, his sword sent skittering across the deck. She leaned back, and sheathed her sword. "I've won."

Marshall stared at her for a second through narrowed eyes, before clearly coming to a decision.