Chapter Ten

"How do I look?" Marshall asked, turning himself in the mirror to get a better view.

"Regal." A crew member stated.

"Incredible." Another suggested.

"Handsome." Yet another added.

The rest nodded in agreement.

Marshall nodded. "At least I don't look like an idiot in this monkey suit. Who has the invitation?"

Someone passed it to him, and he nodded, satisfied. "After all, it's not like Mom is actually going to be there, and we need a representative..." He smirked, but one crew member raised his hand.

"Um, sir? Don't you think this is kind of a bad idea?"

Everyone glared at him, willing him to be silent.

Marshall frowned. "Explain."

"It's just... she voluntarily left you. Isn't showing up like this kind of... invading her personal space? Crossing the boundaries she set? No matter what happens tonight, she's still probably going to marry him... unless you convince her to run off with you. And then what, sir?"

"I... hm."

The glares intensified, and the crew member shrunk in fear.

Marshall considered this. "She left because of her people, not because of her own feelings. So this will be a better goodbye, if nothing else. Plus it's a chance to see each other again when we thought that would never happen. Even if nothing happens, even if she stays with him... it doesn't matter. Because at least I will get to see her again, and know if she forgives me, and know if she still..."

He trailed off, deep in thought, before nodding. "Alright, let's go."

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

"I look alright, right?" Prince Gumball asked Lord Monochromicorn.

'You look as good as you're going to.' His friend responded.

"It's just... this is the first time I'm meeting her. I need to make a good impression." Prince Gumball explained, adjusting his cravat.

'As I recall, you and Marshall Lee had a lot more time.'

"Yes, but we weren't immediately threatened with war. And that was two years ago."

'Fine, but I feel like you're rushing this.'

Gumball shot his friend a look. "Explain."

'You're worried that she'll run just like he did, and you're taking precautions to make sure that she can't. Ensnaring her like this isn't going to help anything, Gumball. You know that. That's why you pushed for more time with Marshall two years ago when Honoria was pushing for less.'

"Maybe I should have listened to her." Prince Gumball muttered. "And I am not ensnaring Princess Fionna! She agreed to everything that is going on!"

'Right, because it's for her people.'

"Exactly. We already share a common goal— that's more than Marshall and I ever did. I'm sure the princess and I will get along wonderfully." Prince Gumball sounded as if he was trying to convince himself.