Chapter Thirteen

Fionna awoke abruptly when someone knocked on the door. She tried to get up to answer it, but something ensnared her waist and pulled her back to a warm spot, up against someone...

Her eyes widened as she looked over her shoulder at the sleeping pirate next to her. On the Shadow, he had always kept a bit of a distance, but the bed was bigger then, and now...

The knocking grew more insistent, and Fionna struggled out of Marshall's grip, before throwing a blanket over him and answering the door.

Cake was on the other side. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." Fionna said, before the weight of yesterday came crashing down on her. She held herself straight. "Any news?"

"Apparently, your father's advisors decided to declare war in your absence."

"What?! They can't do that." Fionna said, hurriedly dressing.

Cake followed her in, and shot the bed a look as Marshall began to stir. "Fionna, is someone else in here?"

"No." Fionna lied. "In any case, when will the Silver Sword be seaworthy?"

"A few weeks." Cake sighed. "We're set to return to Duine on the Caspian."

"What reason did they give for declaring war on the Unknown Lands? Surely they already knew about my kidnapping..."

"I'm guessing that they're pretending that's the reason, and are 'acting regents' for the time being, anyway. Word doesn't travel fast to the Unknown Lands from Duine, so we have no idea what they're saying." Cake sighed. "But our steel production is going into overdrive, and every ship that's seaworthy is being outfitted for war."

"Where does Dulce stand on this?" Fionna asked.

"We didn't ask him. Everyone's been fairly busy all morning— did you know that pirate is still on Middleground Island?"

"Really?" Fionna lied.

Cake glanced at the bed, then looked back at Fionna. "Right, I'm only going to ask this once, and I want the truth this time: did you do anything that involved anything lower than the neck?"

Fionna shook her head, and Cake nodded, satisfied. "Get him up, then. We're going to need a reaction from the Unknown Lands."

"Wait, wait. How do we know they declared war? We just found out yesterday that Dad..." Fionna couldn't quite say the words, and Cake patted her shoulder gently. "They sent two birds. The declaration of war landed a few hours after the... news regarding your new title." Cake chose her words carefully, trying not to upset her friend.

Fionna nodded, and Cake left, casting another glance back at her friend.

Fionna hurried over to Marshall, and shook him awake.

"Hmm? Where's the fire?" He asked drowsily.

"Duine has declared war without consulting me, we don't know what you all think, but we both are needed for a war council, at least." Fionna helped him up, and grabbed his hand, racing down the hall with him.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~