Chapter Five

A few days later, they were ready to set sail again. Fionna and Marshall had been spending a lot of time together— mostly at night.

Marshall had been taking advantage of not really having to do anything to sleep during the day, thus avoiding the sun and venturing out onto Middleground with Fionna during the nighttime. True to the vendor's word, the Silver Sword had already got into port, along with the Royal Pride, so Marshall and Fionna avoided the Duine region of the island.

That didn't mean the Dulce region was off-limits though. "What's their main export, anyway?" Marshall asked.

"Um... sugar, I think?" Fionna replied.

"Yeah, it's sugar and other sweet stuff and some spices. How did they get so rich?" Marshall wondered.

"We love sugar in Duine. It's delicious." Fionna said.

"Duine basically controls everything in the region, doesn't it?" Marshall mused.

"Dulce is a lot richer than Duine, though." Fionna replied. While she was talking, Marshall quickly bought something.

"Hey, what's that?" Fionna asked.

Marshall smirked. "Close your eyes, and open your mouth."

She shot him a suspicious look, and his smirk widened. "C'mon, don't you trust me?"

She hesitated, then complied. He broke a bit off of the chocolate bar that he was holding, and popped it into her mouth. "Chew."

She opened her eyes, and he smiled at her. "Good?"

She nodded, and swallowed. "It's—"

"Fionna?" They heard someone ask.

Fionna turned to see Cake standing there, aghast. Her friend rushed forward and hugged her tightly. "Are you okay?! Did he hurt you?"

"No, I'm fine." Fionna smiled.

"I thought I was never going to see you again!"

"I..." Fionna trailed off, looking at Marshall, who shrugged. "I mean, we probably would have avoided the Silver Sword for a long time, so..."

Cake glared at him. "You."

"Me." Marshall agreed.

Fionna held Cake back. "Cake, he's not as bad as you think."

"Are you allowed to leave him at any time?" Cake asked.

"Well... technically, yes, but..."

"Are you ever truly alone? And bathroom breaks don't count."

Fionna flushed. "I don't think it's because he doesn't trust me..."

"What would happen if you ever tried to leave him? How would he react?" Cake pressed.

Fionna moved back. "He'd let me go, if I fulfilled the terms of our deal."

"Your deal? What has he made you agree to?" Cake asked worriedly.

"I just have to beat him in a sword fight." Fionna replied.

"So why won't you come with me now?" Cake asked. "A sword fight with you wouldn't take long."