Chapter 4

Lila pumped her arms, the burn of her muscles relieved some of the panic flowing through her mind. Her Omega had receded into the depths, right when she needed her of course. Typical. She could still scent the Alpha all over her and it was driving her into a frenzy trying to figure out how she could scrub his scent from every pore. A sickening feeling hit her gut as the Omega in her disagreed with removing the Alpha's scent, but it faded as if she had given up trying to control Lila.

Good, she thought as she reached the banks of the river.

She looked up at the stars, guessing that it was close to three a.m. She had to get home. She had to check on Delza and Leon. She swam up the river into the mouth of the castle where it passed through a bathing chamber. Panting, she drew herself up on quivering arms to lay on the smooth stone.

Shuffling behind her drew her attention. She didn't dare move, but her heart thundered inside her chest.

"Lila, what are you thinking?" The voice hissed from behind her and she let out her breath.

She could sense the disappointment radiating from the Alpha. She might not have cared about the opinions of many, but from her friend, they stung like nettles in her heart.

"I had to try to get that medicine, Maya," She answered as she stood and faced her.

Maya narrowed her eyes, her Alpha eyes nearly glowing in the darkness. Her soft, brown hair was tied back to keep it out of her face, making her features harsher.

"I'm not talking about that Lila, I'm talking about the gods damned Alpha you shacked up with!" Maya reached forward grabbing Lila's elbow. " If he scents another male he will kill you."

Lila couldn't look her guard in the eyes but nodded her agreement.

Her guard and friend, Maya always had her best interests at heart. Maya dropped her elbow and pulled her in for a hug. She stroked her hair tenderly and Lila felt her eyes well up. Her head only barely reached Maya's shoulder, but she buried her face into it anyway.  Her armor dug into her skin, but she used the sensation to ground her to focus on what she needed to do.

"Was it worth it?"She asked, but Lila didn't have an answer for her, so she shrugged.

"This isn't like you, Lila," Maya pulled back to look into her face.

"Of course, it wasn't. It was my stupid Omega." Lila felt her Omega's hackles raise.

Maya sighed and took her hand, leading her down the hallway to the bathing chambers.

"Let's get you cleaned up."

While Maya grabbed her clean linens and clothes, Lila scrubbed every inch of her body until it was raw. She couldn't take the chance that a trace of his scent could be on her. She sighed leaning back on the seat in the warm water. Closing her eyes, she tried her best to settle herself, but her Omega either paced in her mind or was eerily silent. Maya returned with a towel and a grimace.

"What?" Lila said, wading through the water to reach the marble stairs.

"Delza is coughing again. She isn't having a good night," She explained wrapping Lila in the towel.

Guilt hit her, blanketing her with a suffocating weight. She dried off and moved to put on her clothes, but Maya stopped her.

"Let me scent you, first." She whispered, leaning in close.

Lila nodded and stood still as Maya sniffed gently around her body. Apparently satisfied, Maya helped Lila dress and took her to Delza.

Once they reached her room, Delza's wheezing cough rang out in the halls. Lila rubbed her palm at her chest and handed the bag of jewels off to Maya.