Chapter 17: The Power of Terra [part 2]

No, it couldn't be true.

Was it true?

Was I dreaming?

It couldn't be true.

Was Terra's power that great?

How could she do such a thing?

Why would she do something like this?

The questions piled up one on top of the other in my head, as I tried to understand what was happening. Here, before the Goddess of the Earth, Terra herself, creator of nature. She, who had called me to her abode, against the wishes of her heiress, now offered me to release the love I kept hidden and concealed only to protect my beloved.

'But...'

'Just look at you, I thought you would be a little happier than that frightened little face of yours,' she said enjoying every second of it. This was his revenge on his brother? Freeing me from my worst nightmare? From my worst sorrow?

'How?' I asked with hesitation.

'I am a Goddess. For my brother to think he is the only one with power over humans is ridiculous.'

All the fairies in my sight smiled. Of course she was a Goddess, she had the power, but....

It couldn't be that simple. Why would she do such a thing? There had to be a hidden motive.

'Why? Why do you want to do this? What's in it for you?

'I told you, it is pure and sincere defiance of my brother. I looked for what would anger him the most, what would most jeopardise his precious plans.'

'Free me from the promise? That is what would anger him most?'

'Of course. It goes against his intention of revenge against his heirs, against you.'

It was all for revenge?

Eloah, the Fifth God, was seeking revenge on Crey through me?

I did not want it to be true.

What had Crey done to him that Eloah would lose all hope in his heirs or worse that he would continue to seek revenge on them generation after generation.

The Goddess read the uncertainty on my face and continued.

'He has made them lose battles, win only to believe they would be safe and then suffer betrayal, to know that their end would come and they could not avoid it...'

Like my parents, they too had suffered the consequences of revenge against Crey's heirs.

All this because of a mistake thousands of years ago.

It was terrible.

'Your story was unique. A tragic story. Caelus would grow up hating fate, hating his father who had imprisoned him with his mother and ignored the power growing in his bastard. The power of shadows, of uncreation, of Death would build up inside him until it exploded in such a way that he would make sure he never followed the prophecy that Eloah invented for him.'

The first son of Bieno and the first daughter of Crescendo. Eloah only did it so that Caelus would object, it was never true. What united us was not the prophecy, it was something much deeper.

'The prince would vow to do anything to never fall in love with the one who was his soul mate, his other half, the light to his darkness. He would hate you and you him. You would never be together even if you were united before you were born. An existence of pain... so cruel and so well planned.'