Chapter 10 "Into the depths" [part 2]

I had already experienced the feeling of near drowning and it was something I would never want to experience again.

There I was, stepping into the water, with no thought in my head other than I had to do it.

I looked over my shoulder.

I knew Caelus wanted to come with me. In truth, I wanted him to come with me, too.

But I knew it wasn't the right thing to do.

With my eyes I tried to tell him to stay calm, that I would be okay, and I really hoped he understood.

Phoenix took off his jacket. He held out his hand and I took it.

My dress responded well to the water, looking more ready to dive in than I was.

Marina would lead the way, I knew she would, which was why I didn't dare mention Rayn's disappointed face as the girl he loved ignored him once again.

'Phoenix,' I said as I was about to lose touch of the sand beneath my feet. 'I can't swim.'

I thought it was obvious considering I'd never been near water in my entire life.

'Don't worry, I'll help you,' his arm took my back, and in just a second we were submerged in the crystal clear water.

I tried to trust as much as I could how confident he looked that he could swim, and I followed him.

Once in the water, Marina kissed us both on the cheek, and being able to breathe, the nerves began to dissipate, though not entirely.

'Follow me,' the mermaid said, sinking into the depths.

'Kick and stretch out your arms, I've got you.'

I didn't fully understand how Phoenix knew how to swim, considering he had grown up in a Kingdom where the closest thing to water was lava, but I didn't hesitate for a moment to listen to him, because he really seemed to know what he was doing.

So I just kicked and kicked without knowing for sure if I was doing the right way.

I also didn't know where we were going, or how deep to swim, I just knew that if the Respirum failed, I would be in big trouble considering how far down we were swimming.

The fish surprised me, because I had never seen them so close. They were also surprised by my presence, for as I swam among them, they moved as far away from me as they could.

The light from the surface began to dissipate as another light found us within the depths.

'Welcome to the Blue Castle.'

 Caelus wasn't lying when he said the names they chose weren't very original

The castle seemed to be enclosed in a large bubble, but its colour was unmistakable. The blue glowed, emanating a light that was obviously pure magic. Mermaid magic.