Chapter 16 : The wedding [part 1]

There are moments in life when you lose yourself completely. Everything slows down, and life seems to happen outside of you. As if you are submerged underwater and everything keeps going while you are still underneath.

I felt Mena's hands, taking my arms, leading me to where some fairies were pointing us. I saw Queen Julyana's mischievous smile, Muvina's sad eyes, the fear on Phoenix's face.

And Caelus, I walked past him and he couldn't look me in the eyes.

This can't be real. 

He knew this moment was coming, that maybe it could happen, but neither of us thought it would be so quick, so abrupt.

Was I going to get married?

Mena was joined by Aurora, standing on my other side, both without saying a word.

Polar ran up behind me, as if he was trying to stop something... or someone.

At last, he had reacted.

'Gaia, wait,' his voice pierced my shield, every one of my walls fell down as soon as I heard him.

I couldn't stop, I couldn't turn around. 

I had to get as far away as possible otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it.

A wedding for a Goddess.

Marriage was a sacred commitment. Once made, it could not be undone. I would be forever bound to Phoenix, and he to me. No possibility of loving anyone else, no possibility of making any other choice.

There was no choice.

The fairies opened the doors to a majestic room. The three large windows illuminated every space, even the most secluded of them all. The bed was so large that up to four people could fit in it. The chandeliers were covered with beautiful flowers and plants.

I don't know how long I didn't react.

I think it was quite a long time, judging by Mena's expressions.

She was worried about me.

Soon, a blow to my face woke me up.

'Hey, that hurt,' I said cupping my cheek.

'Something had to make you react, what are you going to do? How are you going to get out of this?' I wasn't surprised that it had been Aurora who had brought me out of my shell.

'Get out of this?' Was there any way out of this?

I didn't see how I could convince Julyana to change her mind. She had dictated her condition to let me see her Goddess. She wanted a wedding and she had made that clear to everyone present. Every one of her subjects would know soon enough. If I did not go through with the wedding, not only would she not let get to her Goddess, no, she would turn all her Kingdom against me. 

And then it would be Bieno, the renegades of Crescendo commanded by Rythel, Eurus with his powerful Angelis and Tellus with the fairies and magic against me.

'She's not planning to get out of this Aurora,' Mena replied, as if she could read my eyes.

'You can't be serious. Gaia, you don't love him, you can't marry him if you don't love him, it's not fair for either of you,' Aurora knew me and knew the truth. She knew this was just a loveless engagement. She knew Caelus too, from before me even, and she knew how her friend felt about me. So I could understand her not seeing what was happening as possible.

'I...' I had no idea what to do.

'Gaia!' I heard his call from outside the door.

Caelus.