Chapter 15: The Kingdom of Tellus [part 2]

'What are you?' The Queen of Tellus' gaze felt closer and closer, her eyes examining me, as if trying to pierce inside my head.

The roots continued up my legs, reaching almost to my hips.

I could feel my retinue approaching a few steps closer.

The fairies who were sitting quietly, suddenly stood up and got defensive. There were too many fairies.

'Julyana, let her go,' Phoenix demanded but was ignored.

'I won't let anyone lie to me, I don't care who it is. Like I said, I hate liars.'

The roots seemed to get tighter and tighter.

She didn't seem to stress, this power was just a small taste of what Julyana could do. How much power was hidden in the little golden haired fairy?

'Julyana, she's only human,' Muvina tried to stop her.

'No she's not, I can feel the magic emerging from her, there's something strange about her, what is it?'

I didn't know what she wanted me to tell her.

Did she want me to tell her I wasn't human even if I didn't think I was sincere?

I didn't know what to do.

'What do you want from me?' I asked at last, my eyes reflecting doubt.

'To be honest.'

'I am human. I was born human and I will die human.'

'No, your magic is not something a mere human can achieve.'

'What would it mean to you?' I said and I felt everyone pause, as if fearing the young Queen's answer.

'What do you mean?' she said to me with more than just anger.

'You hate humans. You can't stand them because you think they are inferior to fairies. If an ordinary human could achieve that level of magic, more magic than any fairy could attain, what would it mean to you? Would you have to accept that humans aren't so bad after all?'

By all the Gods, I don't know what had happened to me.

I was defying who at that moment was in control of my life. She was holding me by the heels, she could break me in a second. And yet I was defying her.

'A human with that much power?' she asked me smiling. 'I don't think so.'

'Then let me show you.'

What I was about to do was irrational, poorly thought out and perhaps a little childish for an adult like me. But I was tired of playing nice. This was a war, I couldn't waste my time with challenges like this. If Julyana wanted to see what a human was capable of, I would show her.

Fire

My right hand filled with fire, my arm reflecting the heat of that small but intimidating fireball.

Water

My left hand answered the call of the water, ignoring what Muvina's guards would think, or Phoenix's for all I cared. If this was to be the reality, it would no longer be a secret.

I wanted everyone to know that I could be a threat too.

I would no longer hide. I was no longer the girl who ran to escape through the woods. I was a Queen who would face whatever came her way.

I would not be afraid.

I could not be afraid.

Light.