The Glade (intro)

The clouds slowly covering the beaming sun, humidity filling the air as the rain trickles down the huts sides and hits the trees. 

Hiding away from it all, around 50 boys all take cover under their handmade roofs and talk among themselves trying to keep the boredom from spreading while they cant work.

As they settle in, an alarm suddenly blares out from the center of it all, signifying the box would soon be coming up. The box came up once a month, providing supplies and bringing up a new "greenie". Everyone knew the sound of the box, and everyone knew it was important to get to the box before whoever was in it could make a dash for the maze. This time, though, only five boys were going out to investigate since most people weren't very fond of getting soaking wet with no real way of drying off. They all gather around while one drops down to open the doors and jump in. They all look down in confusion and the boy in the box declares "It's a girl?"

A girl? There had always only been boys, not a single girl had come up from the box in the three years it had been supplying. 

She was unconscious and not waking up to any of their attempts, while the rain was getting heavier. The boys all jump into the box as well and carry the girl into the homestead. They place the girl down on a table as they examine her to try and look for any sign of injury. She's wearing a thin long sleeved blue top with loose brown jean-like pants, and she's covered in cuts and bruises all around her body. The blonde boy, who had been the first one to see her in the box, moves closer to her to try and roll up her sleeves to look for any more injury than what they can already see. As he puts his hand on her arm, her eyes FLY open and she elbows him in the side.

He falls over into a chair which they were holding water and medical supplies on, breaking some glass and cutting himself. He clutches his side and groans in pain as she props herself up and looks around in confusion, when she realizes she's surrounded by boys she jumps off the table and finds the nearest sharp object, a piece of the shattered glass that had flown across the room. She points it at all of them, turning from one to another. "Where the hell am I? Who are you guys?" She asks distressed, one of the boys steps forward, in front of the rest of the group. "Hey, hey hey hey just- just calm down. I'm Gally. We aren't going to hurt you." He nods his head for reassurance but she grips the glass shard tighter in her hand.

Each boy introduces himself, in the group there was Gally, Alby, Minho, and Thomas. The boy on the floor hasn't said anything besides mumbling some words like "shuck" and "shank". The girl only looks more disappointed with every introduction. "I-I cant remember my name? I can't remember anything, actually. Why can't I remember?" She has the deepest tone of worry in her voice as she speaks, and still refuses to drop the glass. The boys try and explain where she was, the glade. They explain how she's this months "greenie" and what that means. They explain everything she can ask about and eventually the boy who has been on the floor speaks up, "She almost asks more questions than Thomas for shucks sake. Now will someone help me so I don't bleed out?" The girl notices he's the only one who sounds different, he's British. 

The boys scatter and try to help him off the floor, Minho and Alby end up walking him outside the building they were in and taking him to get help from the med-jacks. The girl is left with Thomas and Gally, she keeps asking them questions before asking one they didn't expect "Why is that one boy like, British? Like why would they put a British guy in here but not more girls, that seems like a flaw in the system." She has full confidence in her question and is expecting a fully confident answer, but the boys look at each other with more confusion in their eyes than the girl had when she first woke up. "Uh, well that one boy is Newt, and we actually- we have no clue that's- that's a good point?" Thomas says before the girl laughs at them both. 

They wait in the homestead until Alby comes back, mumbling something to them about Newt then going to talk to the girl. "Alright, we're supposed to have a bonfire tonight, it's tradition to celebrate the greenies. You however, are not an average greenie. If you don't want to meet everyone we'll tell them all you're still unconscious. Im leaving Thomas here to look over you until then, if you would like to meet the rest of the glade, just say the word and he'll bring you out." Alby looks back at Thomas and he nods at him before turning away and leaving the building with Gally alongside him. 

Newt lays alone in his hammock after being wrapped in bandages, thinking about the days events. He had never liked change, and this is pretty much the biggest change the glade had ever been through. All he could think while remembering the image of the girl in his head was "God, I hate blue."