Chapter- 19 Finally friends!

You held Kageyama's arm and made him sit on the bench. You ran towards the ice cream shop to get some ice packs.

You came back and saw Kageyama looking over the sky as his eyes sparkled with the star's shine. He seemed like nothing had happened.

"Here" you offered the ice pack and sat beside him. "I am sorry for Oikawa's behavior."

"No, I deserved it."

"Well...I guess you did."

Both of you sat there, the fireworks had finished a long time before, and the sky looked as serene as it should be. Kageyama pressed the ice pack against his cheek to decrease the swelling.

He spoke up," The stars, they are so distant from each other but when you see them from Earth- they are present in the same sky, so close to one another"

"When did you become such a poet?!"

You looked at the ground and sighed deeply, "He's there isn't he?" He looked at you, his eyes filled with sadness.

"Your father, he died that day. Didn't he?"

He nodded.

"It was you, this scarf belongs to you!" You both looked at each other.

"If you knew about it, why didn't you tell me? I was looking for the person. I wanted to say I'm sorry for whatever happened that day," tears welled up in your eyes. You were on the brink of bursting out all the emotions you had suppressed since that day.

"I'm so so sorry. I never expected that he would die like that. Every night I still think of that day just reliving all those memories as if they happened yesterday. I blame myself for everything and am sorry it happened because of me."

Tears started flowing down your cheeks, "I could never undo it. If I could go back in time I would rather have get myself killed from that accident."

"Don't! Just stop it. All this time I was wrong. I kept my distance from you because I was blaming you. You were smiling and laughing, pretending that nothing ever happened in your life. And I hated you for that. I hated it. That's why I kept my distance." 

You could clearly feel the pain in his voice. This was the first time he spoke. He spoke more than 2 damn words.

"Now I understand. I have come to realize that it was nobody's fault. We are humans we care about each other so much. We can't see each other in pain. I wanted to save you that day and I did. We are both alive, sitting here together. My father tried to save me and he died...I don't blame anyone for it and not certainly you. So just let it go. I am also trying."

You sniffled. You just gave deep thought to whatever he said. And then you chuckled between your breath.

"What?" he asked in an annoyed voice.

"I know I shouldn't say it now but it's for the first time we are conversing and you said more than a few words. I am glad."

Kageyama in response just rolled his eyes in annoyance and then smiled. A smile that felt so ethereal. His smile made you so calm and it assured you everything is alright and it will be okay. 

It's not in Kageyama's nature to smile. But when he does it is from his heart. And this one in front of your eyes was the heartiest smile you've ever seen.

You carefully pulled the scarf from your neck and offered him to take it back. 

"No, I am not taking it back"

"Why?" you asked.

"You carefully kept that scarf all those years. It's yours now I don't need it. I am trying to let go of my father and today I think I have," he looked at the sky.

"This scarf...Your father gave it to you. Right?"

"He did. And now I am giving it to you."

You pulled it closer to your chest and sniffed its warm scent. And then you realize it has Kageyama's scent, no matter how many times you have washed it it still explains that it belonged to him. 

"Thank you," you answered softly. He returned a soft smile to you.

"Soooo, Are we friends now?" you asked him.

He looked at you in awe. "It's fine we don't have to be at least we are on good terms."

"Yes"

"Yeah yeah okay," You didn't listen to him correctly again and said, "Really!"

He nodded in response and put forward his hand and you took it and it marked the beginning of your friendship.

~The flashback (What happened that day)~

It was Saturday you clearly remember, you were with your mother. You both were headed to the aquarium- the one you always visited. 

You were waiting on the other side of the road excited to see the building in front of you, It was still a red light and everyone was waiting to cross the street.

There was a kid beside you and he had a ball in his hand. It suddenly left his hand and rolled down the road. 

Your instinct kicked in, and you reached out desperately to grab the ball before any harm could befall it or the child. Your heart pounded in your chest as your fingers grazed the ball, just as a speeding car approached.

In that heart-stopping moment, someone's hand firmly clamped onto your shoulder, pulling you back just in the nick of time. The car screeched to a halt, its horn blaring loudly, narrowly missing the child and the runaway ball. Your pulse raced, and a chill ran down your spine as you realized how close it had been.

Your mother held you tightly, her arms trembling with a mixture of fear and relief. Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked at you. "Thank goodness you're safe," she whispered.

But as you saw the scene in front of your eyes, the blood gushing out and spilling all over the road. The kid was so shocked that he looked at you with hateful eyes. But he was safe. You saved him.

Tears welled up in your eyes, The ambulance reached and took us to the hospital. There was no one I was sitting on the bench contemplating what had just happened and all you were holding in your arms was a scarf. 

In the aftermath, you learned that the child's father had seen the impending danger and had rushed forward to shield both you and his child from harm's way. His heroic act had saved your lives, but tragically, he hadn't been able to save himself.

That fateful day remained etched in your memory as a poignant reminder of how fragile life could be. It was a narrow escape, a moment that could have changed everything. 

And it was a moment that ultimately brought you and Kageyama together, sharing a bond that grew stronger as you faced the past and embraced a new friendship under the starry night sky.