Chapter 37: Ridicule and Retribution

"Why is she here?"

"Be nice, Tommy," Phil scolded. The entire Craft family was seated outside at a cafe, enjoying nice cups of coffee before their early morning mission. Kristin was with them, a giant, droopy sun hat and dark glasses over her face to hide herself — but she wasn't why Tommy was surprised.

Niki smiled down at him. Tommy gaped at his personal trainer. Seeing her outside of the gym felt forbidden. He struggled to register that she was a human being after all the time she spent breaking him mentally and physically. They had a lesson earlier in the week and she hadn't mentioned meeting up for any reason. Tommy really didn't mean to stare, but everything about the situation was weird.

Her pink hair was pulled back into a messy bun and she wore a large trench coat — strange even in the chilly October weather. Niki's pockets were visibly full, and he could faintly make out a chain around her neck. No one else seemed taken aback by her appearance, more focused on finishing their coffees and warm drinks as quickly as possible. Although, this served to confuse Tommy even more. Why would they be hurrying to start their mission with a civilian nearby?

Wilbur and Techno stood, leaving Phil, Kristin, and Tommy sitting. The boy already knew the older two adults weren't coming with them, as this was mentioned in their pre-mission briefing back at the apartment.

Niki wasn't part of their briefing.

Tommy stayed firm, "I'm not getting up until someone explains what's going on."

Niki raised a brow, her eyes flashing with something reminiscent of her killer attitude in the gym. A chill ran up his spine. Before he knew it, he was on his feet walking a few paces behind the rest of the group.

Fucking pathetic.

Kristin and Phil waved them goodbye like proud parents sending their kids off to school. They'd probably turn this outing into another one of their sickly sweet dates. "We should just keep you around," Wil commented to the pink-haired girl. "He behaves better."

"Fuck you, prick," Tommy spat, but it didn't have its usual bite. He was too focused on Niki. She hadn't said a word since arriving, though she was so wonderfully talkative during their sessions. Part of what he loved about her was her conversational skills. To be around her in silence was uncomfortable.

Thankfully, he wasn't left hanging in that aspect for long. As soon as they'd made it to an empty strip of sidewalk, she spoke, "Has the plan changed at all?"

Tommy skidded to a stop, frozen with his jaw dropped open. Niki had talked, but that wasn't her voice. It was pitched up, distorted.

A voice changer.

Why the fuck would a personal trainer need a voice changer?

"Yeah," Techno grunted. "You good to go?"

"Wait," Tommy muttered. Wilbur paused his steps to look back at him smugly. He knew something. "Why does she sound like that?"