Chapter 21: First day of school

That morning, a boy lounged on the couch, listening to his roommate brewing coffee in the kitchen and news reporters droning on about nothing on the television.

"Tommy," Tubbo called. "Are you ready yet? We're going to be late for school!"

"Fuck off, man," Tommy's voice answered in response.

The former rolled his eyes. A few words from the reporters caught his ear and he turned the volume up.

"So, you're saying Hyperion might actually possess three gifts," the main reporter wondered aloud. Tommy poked his head into the room. "How is that possible? I was under the impression that people could only have one."

The camera panned to a guy in a lab coat. He cleared his throat, "Well, it is possible for one to gain access to a magic item as well as their birth power, so at least two gifts are achievable. Though, any interview with a hero could tell you that holding one item can take years of training."

"Alright, so what do you believe allowed Hyperion to pull off his debut this past week?" Tommy disappeared to retrieve his coffee. "We saw his usage of what looked to be Fortress' powers, and he instantly turned and immobilized Blink. Later there were those plants too. What do you make of all this?"

"Well, we don't know how much of it was just theatrics, and how much was actually him," the specialist replied. "The rest of the Corporation was present, and it was possible they staged it all. Just as how he snapped his fingers and the flower displays lit on fire, but later on, Hothead made an appearance."

"So you're saying it's one big, elaborate hoax?" The reporter seemed slightly less pale at this notion. Tommy returned, scowling at the screen.

"Aren't these people supposed to be professionals?" He muttered under his breath, "The heroes wouldn't have looked so scared if it was all smoke and mirrors."

Tubbo didn't voice his agreement, but he certainly thought it. His roommate had visibly become more comfortable around him since the secret about Mecha was revealed. Tommy would go out of his way to diss heroes Tubbo didn't like, or explain the holes he saw in the media. It was refreshing to share that with him again.

"It might be a trick," the reporter said, turning to face the camera. "But this figure is dangerous nevertheless. We advise all citizens to treat him as a high-level threat, and follow typical evacuation procedures if he is ever spotted. More on this at eight."

The program switched to commercials, and the two boys went back to their routine.

"Ugh," Tommy groaned. "I don't want to go to school."

Tubbo made a quick piece of toast while they talked. "What are you worried about? I'm sure there won't be much trouble today. They never usually bother us on the first day."

"Bullies are bullies, big man," Tommy said. "They don't follow our schedule."

"I am literally a vigilante, Tommy," Tubbo laughed. "I'll kick their asses. I don't have to hold back in front of you anymore."

"I'm not letting you blow people up," the taller boy scoffed. Tubbo rolled his eyes.

"I can fight without machines too, you know," he replied. Once his toast was ready, they both grabbed their bags, and headed out the door. "We should spar sometime. I need a partner since Blink's in a rebellious phase."

Tommy barked a laugh, "Yeah, right! You'd annihilate me! I know I've been working out, but that doesn't mean I can go against a pro like you. Unless you're looking for a human punching bag, in which case, stand in line."

"I can teach you a few moves," Tubbo offered. "That'll fix your bully problem!"

Tommy rolled his eyes, but he didn't respond. Tubbo secretly hoped he'd consider it. Truthfully, he was getting antsy. He had mostly recovered from his unpleasant encounter with the rogue drone, but Tommy still didn't want him to go on patrols. Without someone to watch his back, and with Ace out to get him, it wasn't safe. Tubbo missed it a lot.