Chapter 8: Can I take it back?

"Techno! Get your ass in here!"

Techno peeked his head around the corner in time to see Wilbur slam their front door with the ferocity that only an excited hipster could possess. His brother grabbed him by his sleeve - a very unwelcome pull given the fine fabric he was wearing - and led him into the kitchen.

Phil was busily preparing dinner, and barely glanced up as his boys stormed in. His shadow wings were folded behind him, politely basking in the dimmed lights. Wilbur released Techno and stood on a chair.

"I have an announcement," the brunette declared.

Phil paused his carrot chopping to exchange a glance with Techno.

"I think he has an announcement," Techno snickered. His brother frowned, though his adrenaline never faltered.

"Tommy is officially my apprentice," Wilbur said.

Now his family was listening.

"Oh, that's great! So you got your powers to work on him, finally," Phil hummed lightly.

Wilbur blinked. "What? No."

"You managed to find something to blackmail him with," Techno guessed. "Like his family's lives."

"No! I didn't threaten him or use my powers at all!" Wilbur crossed his arms, stepping off the chair. "Don't tell me you guys really believe that's the only way Tommy would agree."

Phil raised an eyebrow and returned to his chopping board. Techno stifled a laugh. Wilbur gasped incredulously.

"I swear I didn't do anything," he whined. "He asked me what it entailed and then said he wanted to be my apprentice. Boomer and Hannah can tell you."

Phil chuckled softly, "If that's the truth, then I'm glad. Have you figured out how you're going to train him?"

"He's gotta heal first, so I have plenty of time to plan," Wilbur said, sitting down.

"What are you going to do until then?" Techno's question caught him a bit off guard. "I told you how I intercepted those little thugs who were pickin' on him. If he gets hurt this soon after being healed, the wound might reopen."

Wilbur's eyes widened. He clearly hadn't thought of that.

Phil sighed, "When did he say he was planning to go back to work?"

"Tomorrow, I think," Wilbur answered after a long pause. "He said he needed to get his boss updated on the situation."

"Great. You've got his number, right? Text him and tell him you're picking him up." Wil did exactly as Phil suggested, and Tommy responded an hour later.

Turns out his new apprentice was just as vulgar via text messaging, and a significant amount of swears roughly translated to, "I can take care of myself. I don't need your help."

Wilbur smiled at his phone, and set a reminder for thirty minutes before Tommy's shift started.

~~~~

Tommy was finally allowed to go home after two days in a strange location.

To keep Boomer and Hannah's home a secret, Tommy had to drink a drugged glass of water. He woke up in Wilbur's car, which was fancy to an annoying extent. It wasn't a Ferrari or a Lamborghini by any means, but it cost more than a measly bartender should be able to afford. Even the interior smelled like dirty money.

While waiting for Tommy to wake up, Wilbur had driven three complete circles around the city. The idiot hadn't thought to ask for his new apprentice's address before promising to take him home. Icarus' reputation as a terrifying villain was wavering with each second they spent together.