Chapter 7: Miracles

Boomer turned out to be very good company. This was, of course, presuming that Tommy did not have a headache. If he did, the man was not always appreciated. He appeared at first glance to be casual and laid back, but he was loud when he wanted to be.

"Good morning," his distinctive voice catapulted down the hall after a long night of no sleep. Boomer strolled through the door with his green cap on backwards and his sleeves rolled up. He barely glanced at Tommy before getting to work at the desk in the corner. "You're lookin' a lot better today! More color in your cheeks."

Tommy would argue otherwise. At some point in the night, whatever was in the IV ran out, and the throbbing pain became worse. It wasn't unbearable, he had to admit, but his arm ached and his body followed.

Boomer hummed as he worked, and Tommy could only watch. He fixed an IV bag with a liquid that was probably water, and squeezed a few drops of something red in, which immediately dissolved. The white-haired man stepped over to Tommy, and fixed the bag onto his IV.

The result was instantaneous. A rush of adrenaline pumped into Tommy's mind, and the light pains faded into more of a pins-and-needles feeling. Boomer grinned at the sight of relief on his patient's face. "I still got it! Remember to tell Wilbur how much you've enjoyed my treatment so he brings ya back."

"Brings me back," Tommy echoed, sounding weak, but stronger than the day before. "What did you even do?"

"You, my friend, are yet another one of my many success stories," Boomer declared. "You can tell all your buddies that you've been treated by Leapfrog, and that I'm very awesome."

Tommy imagined how Tubbo would take that news. No matter what the reaction, he didn't see it going well. Ranboo was probably the only other person he talked to around his age. By no means was this a visit he wanted to brag about.

He was able to conclude now that Boomer had put some of his blood into the IV, and Tommy was impressed. Any form of healing magic was something to behold, but it was rare. He personally knew one kid who had a similar gift, but they weren't friends and the guy couldn't heal others, only himself.

Leapfrog was an ex-hero, which meant he was better than the average folk. Tommy had his arm as proof. Boomer changed the bandages with a pleased smile on his face, and he had the opportunity then to see the wound. He expected to be surprised, but he was blown away.

There was evidence of where he'd been stitched up, but the skin around it had closed beyond the need for them. There was already a bit of scarring that would probably never fully go away, but Tommy only mildly wanted to throw up at the sight.

"Why are we putting bandages on," Tommy asked. "It's not bleeding anymore."

"My gift is strong, but I'm not a miracle worker," Boomer chuckled. "It's safest to treat it the way we treat normal gunshot wounds, just in case it decides to reopen."

Tommy nodded, and eventually they finished with the general routine. A knock on the door made him jump, but Boomer hardly acknowledged it. A lady poked her head in. She had a small crown of flowers sitting on her hair, which had been carefully braided.

When she fully pushed in, she was carrying a tray of food, and Tommy's stomach reacted accordingly. He had been too tired for dinner the previous night, so hunger gnawed at him. He took it as a good sign that he felt well enough to eat.

"This is Hannah," Boomer introduced. The woman smiled widely. "She was a hero-in-training with me, but you probably don't know her. She's pretty irrelevant."

Hannah scoffed and kicked Boomer's shin. The man doubled over in pain as she handed Tommy his breakfast. "He's an idiot," she said. "Don't listen to anything he says. My hero name was Eden, but I wasn't very public. The hero organizations thought I wasn't good enough for my own article."