Chapter 39 - Im Here, Lily (Severus Snaoe x Lily Evans)

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy!
—————————————————————

Severus Snape braced himself as Lily buried her face in the crook of his neck and whimpered.

"There we are, Mrs. Snape......that's the worst of this one, it'll lessen now."

As Lily panted for breath, Severus gave her a quick nuzzle of reassurance before his dark eyes flickered over to the midwife who had her hands splayed over his mate's bare, rounded abdomen.

"Is it not possible to give her a dose of Pain Potion?" He asked with a concerned frown, "She's suffering terribly."

"Pain Potion will only slow the process at this point, Mr. Snape." The midwife quipped as she took her hands off Lily and turned to grab her wand, "Two weeks overdue already, she can hardly afford anymore delays."

"Sev......." Lily breathed as she let herself relax against her alpha's chest.

Severus held his darling wife in place on the moving stool while she rocked back and forth as she closed her eyes.

"I'm here, my love, I'm here." He promised in a  velvet whisper.

"It's not going to happen today either, is it......?" Lily sighed as tears of frustration welled in her emerald eyes once they popped open, "It's never going to happen, Sev!....I'll die! I'll die like this!"

As she placed a desperate hand on her belly, the midwife seemed to disregard her patient's rising anxiety, but Severus felt on the verge of panicking himself.

The mere mental image of Lily dying was enough to destroy him.

"Don't say such things, my darling." He hurriedly whispered as he reached over and mopped her forehead with the rag that laid in a bowl of cool, clean water, "It'll all be over soon.....and I'll be here with you until the end."

"Right here?" Lily asked as she glanced up, "Beside me?"

".........Always." Severus promised with a dutiful nod.

Lily didn't have a chance to respond as her belly started to tighten again.

The instant she leaned forward and started to groan, Severus's heart began to race once more.

As he laced his fingers with Lily's while she moaned through the worst of the spasm, Severus hoped the birth finished quickly.

His alpha instincts demanded he do something, anything, to mitigate his omega's pain.

—————————————————————

The elderly midwife who had come to the Snapes' cottage that evening had an unfortunately limited amount of patience for the frightened young couple.

By the middle of the night, Lily's struggle was nearing an end, along with the meager amount of empathy the midwife possessed.

Each pain brought with it a new scream from the labouring mother and a new tear from the expectant father's eye, which he cleverly hid from his mate by keeping his face turned away whenever possible.

"NNNNNNGGGGGGHHHH!"

As Severus cradled Lily through another spasm that left her straining and trembling, Severus wanted to cry out with her.

"You aren't even trying, Mrs. Snape!" The midwife snapped from her place between Lily's legs, despite her patient curling over her belly as her face reddened from her efforts.

In a burst of angry anguish, Severus immediately jumped to his wife's defence, "Dont speak to her that way! Can you not see she's in pain?! What more is she to do?! You're increasing her agony with your abuse, have you no heart at all?!"

As Lily slumped back against Severus, an idea entered the midwife's mind as she watched the couple cling to each other against the horrors of the night.

"Mr. Snape, why don't you come and coax her for a moment? She may be more obedient to you than me." The midwife snapped.

".......I beg your pardon?" Severus asked as he narrowed his black eyes.

"Take my place and I'll stand beside you......as a guide." The midwife nodded as she moved over, "You're her alpha, if she trusts you as much as it seems, she may have an easier time."

Lily gasped for breath as she glanced up at Severus.

He frowned down at her for a moment before she gave him the slightest of nods in a silent signal.

Slowly, carefully, Severus eased himself from his place behind her on the bed just as she started to groan again.

"Hurry, Mr. Snape, here comes the next one." The midwife warned as Lily clutched her belly while her breath came quicker.

"Lily, my love, I'm here.....I'm right here..." Severus murmurred as he knelt between his mate's legs.

As his hand gently touched her thigh, his dark eyes widened once he realized how open she had become.

A strangled groan left Lily's lips as she sat up and locked eyes with Severus.

"Bear down, Mrs. Snape." The midwife sternly commanded.

"Listen to your body, my love......" Severus nodded.

"It's.....Irs going to break me in half!" Lily whimpered.

"I'll hold you together." Severus said quickly as he reached out and grabbed Lily's hand.

The touching sweetness of the moment was quickly blotted away as Lily squinted her eyes shut and keened as she bore down.

"NNNNNGGGGHHHH!"

A smirk curled the midwife's lips while she watched.

Severus froze as his darling's healthcare provider grabbed his hands and cupped them just in time to catch the squirming, dirty newborn that slid into his palms almost too easily after hours of work and weeks of waiting.

"Congratulations to you both." The midwife announced in a dry tone that held thinly-veiled sarcasm, "You have a fine, new son."

Severus and Lily ignored the woman's rudeness.

As Severus raised himself up and clumsily handed the squealing baby boy to his omega, both their eyes filled with tears.

"He's perfect!" Lily gasped as she enfolded their baby in her shaky grasp.

"You did so wonderfully, my love." Severus whispered as he gave her lips a sweet, nipping kiss, "He's healthy."

"He's ours, Sev! He's ours!" Lily exclaimed with a tired smile.

An hour later, Severus laid in bed with his wife and their little one safely cradled in his protective arms.

Despite her ordeal, Severus felt certain Lily had never looked more beautiful than she did as she lay there, holding their sleeping baby against her breast while she slumbered too, a smile on her reddened lips, her cheeks still flushed with the rich victory of a successful birth.

As Severus marveled are his little family, a gentle purr left his chest.

Slated to start his position as the youngest Potions Master in Hogwarts' history a mere two months later, Severus could hardly believe his good fortune.

He had managed to find a beautiful mate, a promising career, and a strong, new son.

What more could he ask for?