Chapter 10: Advice

Start from the beginning

I don't know what was more strange. That he's sober or that he seems like a perfectly normal dad.

The whole time I was sitting there, I had an unpleasant feeling in my chest. I can't say what it was exactly.

I washed up after myself and put the dishes next to the sink.

"Dad?" I finally spoke.

"Yes?" He looked up at me, his eyes clear like never before.

"Is everything alright?" I was firmly squeezing the kitchen counter.

"Why shouldn't it?" He took off his glasses with one hand. "I am looking for a job." He pointed to the newspaper. "We're behind on our water bills and...basically everything."

"But I already paid for it." I frowned.

"Oh." He looked at me in surprise. "Great." He put the newspaper on the table and stood up. "Then I can go out." He walked past the table and out of the kitchen. But before he left the house, he shouted, "Don't forget the cigarettes!".

When he slammed the door behind him, I lowered my head.

He didn't even say thank you.

*****

About half an hour later, I returned home with my shopping. I put everything in its place but stopped when I was putting things in the fridge.

I let out a frustrated breath and leaned my head against the refrigerator door. "Eggs," I whispered.

Where is my head?

Well, currently it's hitting the fridge, but that's probably not what you meant.

I looked at the clock and saw that it was too late. I'll have to buy them another time.

I took my bag from the counter and left the kitchen. I grabbed my keys and locked the door as I left the house.

I was turning my back to the house when I registered that there was a motorcycle in the driveway with Jeremy leaning against it.

Looks like someone here has a problem and I doubt it's him.

It was obvious I wasn't going to be the first to speak, so Jeremy tore off the band-aid.

"Do you know what phones are used for?"

I'm ninety-six percent sure it's a trap, so I didn't answer for my own safety.

"And no, it's not for taking photos of random cats on the street." He pushed away from his bike and raised a helmet. "Get on."

It would be useless to resist, so without a word, I walked over to him, took the helmet he offered me, put it on, and got on the bike behind him.

He pulled out of the driveway and headed straight for my work, which he parked in front of.

I got off the bike and took off my helmet, which I put on the place where I was sitting a few seconds ago.

"Thanks for the ride." I fixed my hair a bit.

"Wow." He snorted. "Is that really all you're going to say?" He said while still sitting on the bike with his helmet in his hands.

"Jeremy..."

"I get it, okay? I know how it looks, but I swear we're not trying to replace you, Lexi. And I know you can't help it. And that's fine, but don't ever do what you did yesterday. You ran away after dark and didn't text anyone that you were all right. Do you know how scared we were? If Finn..."

"Wait, what?" I jumped into his speech. "What does he have to do with this?" I frowned. "Jeremy."

"We knew you might not be in the mood for us, so we..."