"And I'm inherently not interested," I shot back, turning my back on him so I could continue to scour the shelves. My gaze passed over a variety of hardback and paperback books, each of them appearing worn and ancient, but none of them were what I was looking for. Perhaps I really was wasting my time looking through the library book by book. For all I knew, there were multiple other rooms in the castle which stored books. Those were the rooms I should be looking in.

"Why?" he asked with a smirk, resting an arm on the shelf. "You don't want to have both me and your little Prince of Pride? I'm not opposed to that possibility."

The book I was holding cluttered to the floor.

"Did I forgot to tell you? I discovered your little secret," he said smugly.

I bent down to pick up the book, sliding it back into place as though I was unbothered. Meanwhile, I was panicking. I tried to force as much confusion into my voice as possible when I said, "What do you mean?"

He laughed and picked up the closest book, leafing through it with disinterest before closing it and sliding it back into place. Based on his slow, precise movements, I knew he was enjoying dragging out the silence. "Please, you can cut the act. I saw the way you two shared glances with each other that night in the Throne Room. Your blush right now confirms it."

"I'm not blushing," I snapped, steadying my breathing.

"But you didn't deny the way you looked at each other," he commented quickly, tilting his head towards me as though he knew he'd caught me out.

I blew out a breath and tried to focus on the bookcase again, ultimately failing. "Whatever. There's nothing between us. At least not anymore."

"Hmmm, we'll see," he replied thoughtfully, which frustrated me. I knew he was considering something in that mind of his and deliberately withholding that information from me, but I didn't want to push him for it or drag out our conversation any further. Not when what he might have to say could have the power to disappoint me.

I shook that thought from my head and forced myself back to the present. I only had so much time before I needed to grab some food and head into the forest to practice my magic. I cut Himeros a look as an idea came to mind. "If you're going to stand here taunting me, you might as well make yourself useful and help me."

Himeros didn't have the intrigued reaction I'd hoped for, but he ran his gaze from my head to toes. "Does this act of kindness have anything to do with the fact you're currently gathering dust, Serena?"

"Maybe," I admitted. "I'm looking for a book, it's called 'Realm of the Dead'."

Himeros picked a piece of flint from his top. "Can't say I've heard of it. Who's the author?"

"Demetrius Antonei."

Himeros stilled for a microsecond and then resumed picking flint from his shirt.

"You've heard of him!" I yelped, placing my hands on his shoulders. Warmth shot through my arms, lighting up my entire body, and I snatched my arms back. "You have to tell me who he is! Please."

For the first time since I met him, Himeros frowned. "Demetrius is a scholar that used to work as Hades' advisor, before Persephone took up a more involved position."

I almost bounced on the balls of my feet. "That's great! Where is he?"

"The last I heard, he was in Lust City, doing work for my father. But...he's practically a madman, driven to derangement with his age. He could be anywhere right now, if he's still alive. Sorry, but I don't think you'll have much luck finding this special book of yours." Suspicion crept into his voice. "Why are you looking for it, exactly? Demetrius isn't known for writing anything light-hearted."