Chapter 17

It was quiet for a while before I decided to investigate. I know he told me to stay, but I couldn't take it anymore. I got up off the bed and I walked up to the door. Hesitantly, i put my hand on the doorknob slowly, making sure it didn't make a sound as i turned it. The door didn't open with a creak as it usually did. I stuck my head out the door frame and seen nothing but darkness whatever way i looked. It would have been a bad idea to call out Marks name if someone was really in the house, so i remained silent.

The intensity i felt as i took my first step into the hallway, was almost unbearable. Beginning to walk silently down the hall, i looked in every room that was open. Approaching the kitchen I all of a sudden felt a pressure over my mouth. Someone was holding me and had their hand over my mouth. I tried to scream but i couldn't. The next thing i knew, the hand was off my mouth but i was still being held from behind. 

"It's okay, don't be scared, it's just me", I recognized the voice and turned around and Mark was standing there. I hugged him tightly, "Oh god, thank goodness you're alright.

We stood there for a few seconds and then Mark released me from his embrace and whispered, "You need to go back to our room, somebody is here, it's not safe." I looked into his fear filled eyes. 

"Come with me," I started, "I don't want to be alone."

He was about to say something when out of nowhere a loud noise came from the living room. "Go back to our room, now.

I wasn't about to leave him alone in this situation, but I was also scared out of my mind. So I obeyed his directions. Walking slowly towards our room and farther away from the noise, I heard another noise come from directly in front of me, so i stopped dead in my tracks. At this point I felt a tear rolling down my cheek, I was frightened. I had accepted that anything could happen to me, but, I was prepared to fight. I pressed myself against the wall and slid down to sit. My face was in my hands as I was crying hysterically now. I pulled my knees into myself and began to rock with fear.

Amist crying and hiccuping I was managing to spit out words, 

"Mark"

"I love you"

I hoped he had heard me but I was beginning to doubt it when I heard no response from him.  

A few minutes past and it was dead silent. Mark still hadn't come back so i decided to make a run for our room. I grabbed the cordless phone off the hook and began to dial 911. 

"911, What's your emergency?", I heard from the other end of the line.

Still whispering, trying not to be heard I said, "T-there's an intruder in my house and my boyfriend went to go check it out and he hasnt come back yet, it's been 20 minutes."

"Okay, we're sending a car. Where are you in the house?"

Just after that question, Mark came rampaging through the door. Gesturing me to hang up the phone. I was wondering why but i did it, "Nevermind, false alarm. Sorry to waste your time" and then without waiting for a response I hung up the phone and looked up at Mark who was standing by the bed. 

"What is going on?" I asked him, still scared, and obviously he knew that because he came and hugged me. It was comforting. Once I was calmed down he explained, "It was exactly what you said on the phone, a false alarm." I was still shaking.

"What?", I asked, my voice was little raspy. "It was just a raccoon that got in through the cat door." I let go of him and looked at the door, there was a cat door?

"A raccoon?" I must have sounded so vulnerable, because my voice was weak from crying. "Yes, I am so sorry I got you scared like this," He then pulled me back into his embraced, rubbed the back on my head and kissed my forehead. "I should've just let you sleep, safe and sound in here."

I was tired and feeling a bit sick. I could tell that he was tired, so i just said, "let's just go back to sleep."  And we did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up in the morning and Mark wasn't in bed. So I got up to find him and get myself something to drink because I was dry. 

"How did you sleep?" I jumped slightly, I wasn't expecting him to be coming out of the bathroom as I walked down the hallway. 

"I slept fine, once I knew there weren't anymore raccoons." I laughed and continued to walk down the hallway, towards the kitchen.

"What are you talking about?" Mark asked, seemingly confused.

"There was a raccoon in here last night." I smiled slyly at him.

"Mmmnope, pretty sure there wasn't" he was just teasing me now so i dropped the subject.

"So, how did you sleep?" He followed me into the kitchen and wrapped his arms around my waist and set his chin in the crook of my neck. 

"I slept great," he started, "I always do when I'm with you

My heart melted at that comment and I turned around and kissed him on the lips. He wasn't expecting it, I could tell, but he went along with it. I hugged him and then walked away, heading towards the fridge. Pulling out a box of apple juice, i turned around to see Mark with a slash down his neck. 

"Oh my god, are you okay?!" I practically yelled, but not really, if that even works. "Yeah, stupid raccoon got me. I'm fine though."  

Mark went and gathered some things from our room and then told me, "I'm going out, be back in a little bit." I kissed him goodbye and then said, "Maybe while you're out, you should get that checked out. Wouldn't want you getting rabies my dear." Mark smiled and laughed as he went out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God, I feel like I'm getting so good at this. :D

Thanks for reading~!