Ch 21 |•| girl with a pile of baggage.

"Dyslexia works different for everyone. For some the letters just shake, for others it's more severe like Clara's where the letters can move about or swap places with other letters. But there are many things you can do to make it easier for her. The best thing I can recommend is reading overlays. Blues, greens and cool toned pastels work very well. Stay away from warmer tones like red and pink. Those may make it harder for her. I also recommend reading with her every night or every other night. Reading aloud or with a reading pen can help her develop those skills and make it easier for her to make out words." Lorenzo nodded at the man trying to make sense of everything he was saying.

"Ok. Is there anything else I should know?"

"Just be patient with her. She may be easily discouraged but just make sure she knows your proud of her and the progress she's making. Even if it barely anything." Lorenzo nodded again.

He would've done that anyways. "Thank you so much." He said as he began standing up extending his hand for the man to shake.

"Anytime Mr De Luca. Thank you for your patience." He said as he took his hand shaking it firmly.

Lorenzo buttoned up his suit as he made his way out of the office towards the small waiting room where Clara sat playing with her fingers as she swung her legs. She reached up to itch her nose before scrunching it slightly and letting out a small sniffle. Lorenzo just stood. Watching her for a moment.

He felt his heart crack for her. She had already gone through so much yet the world just kept throwing hurdles at her. He let out a breath as he approached her. "Clara." He said making her perk up as she looked up at him. She slowly slid off the uncomfortable metal chair before taking a few steps towards him.

"Are we going back now?" She asked making him nod. He looked down at his watch. It would be fifth period by the time she got back to school. He let out a breath through his nose. It wasn't worth it.

"Yes. School is almost over so I'll just drop you at the house then I'll make my way to the office. I think Romeo is at home so you should be ok." He said before looking down at her.

Clara nodded before looking down herself. "Ok," she said as the two began to make their way out of the building and towards Lorenzo's car.

He unlocked the car before opening the passenger door for Clara before making his way to the driver's side. The two slid into the car before fastening their seatbelts.

The ride was silent for a while before Clara cleared her throat. She felt like she should say something she just wasn't really sure what.

She felt bad. She was such a burden. It felt like every two days she had a problem they had to solve. Why couldn't she just be like everyone else? Why couldn't she have a normal childhood like all her friends? Why couldn't she just be normal. But instead she was a troublesome, dyslexic girl with piles of baggage.

She hated it. She hated herself so much. She hated-

Lorenzo gently took his hand in hers when he noticed her picking at her fingers. Clara's head snapped up to look at him but he just kept his eyes trained on the road. He gave her a hand a little squeeze before glancing at her.

He focused his eyes back on the road before opening his mouth and closing it again. He wasn't really sure how to go about comforting her. He thought she was just a little worried after her diagnosis. But really it was for the best. Now he knew how to help her.

"It's going to be ok Clara. We're all here to help." He said softly giving her hand another squeeze.

Clara looked up at him before looking down to their conjoined hands. She gave him a soft smile but it didn't quite reach her ears. She looked back out the window. They descended back into silence for a while before Clara looked back over at her brother.