Jordan

King

King

12:45 pm

Waking up this to the sound of light snoring in my ear was different. I was confused at first until I registered that it was coming from my phone. I went to pick up my phone to check the time only to stop in my tracks at what was on the screen. Reign is sleeping peacefully with his body  thrown across his bed and his mouth slightly open. He looks so innocent when he's sleeping and I can't help but feel protective of him. I panicked and quickly end the call feeling anxious at the possibility of one of my brothers walking into my room catching me sleeping on the phone with another nigga.

Jade called me this morning asking if I could drop her off at work today because she had a later shift and her sister would already be at work when she had to go in. Now I  been outside her apartment building for 15 minutes before she finally came out ready to go. I'm already opening the passenger door for her by the time she makes it down the stairs and to the car.

"Hi babe" she says, greeting me with a hug and quick kiss before she gets in the passenger seat. I walk around the car getting in and her sweet scent immediately fills the car. She always smells sweet like vanilla or some sweet shit.

"Are you going to be able to pick me up too?" she asks, sitting her bag down next to her feet and pulling on her seat belt. Her fingers automatically found my own interlacing our fingers. Jade always needed to be touching me when we were together in some type of way.

"Yea at nine -thirty?" I check my side mirror before pulling out of my parking spot and heading towards the mall. She lives about 15 minutes from the mall where she worked but that's if I get on the freeway.

She confirms the time with a nod while putting on some lip gloss using a little mirror she pulled from her purse. She has her naturally curly hair in a half up and half down style. My phone rings and Jade picks it up from sitting in the cup holder looking at the caller ID for the incoming facetime. I never have an issue with Jade answering my phone because I no longer have anything to hide. A part of me trying to earn trust back is her always having access to my phone.

""Why is Reign calling you?" she asks, showing me the name on the phone, her expression curious. I respond with a nonchalant shrug because I genuinely don't know why he's calling. Our last interaction was falling asleep after playing the game.

"Answer it and see, J," I suggest while making a left turn to merge onto the freeway. She fixes her gaze on me for a moment before pressing the green button to answer the call. Her eyes shift to the phone's screen as she listens to Reign's voice on the other end.

"Oh, what's up, Jade?" I hear Reign's surprised tone coming through the phone, but I can't see his face.

"Wassup, Rei? Why you callin' my nigga phone?" she responds playfully, but I can read between the lines and sense a bit of tension. I let out a quiet sigh, feeling like she might be trying to stir up unnecessary drama.