36 || BRANCHIN' OFF

October 11 | 2:38 pm

The streets had been quiet since Tremani got out, surprisingly because before he was locked up, chicago was a war zone with the highest crime rate this city had ever seen in the 2010s and it was all because of Tremani and his people.

Kadir didn't believe in unnecessary crime, it wasn't smart nor did it make sense to have over-exaggerated crime in a city that was already going through shit on it's own so MOST of the crime that happened now had nothing to do with him.

Going into the details of why they stopped being friends would be dreadful but to say the least, they grew up and started living the same lifestyle in different ways and hated each other for their differences since.

But it's weird now because there hasn't been almost any crime since Tremani came back but no one has seen him either. At this point we thought he didn't want any get back and were slowly moving on with our lives.

"Do I look fat?" I said analyzing myself in the mirror as Ocean scratched it. "You do look a lil thick." Leila said looking up from her phone. "Don't worry, it's just dick weight plus it's good, you been the same size since 6th grade, only thing that grew was your ass. Kurse did you a favor." She said and I frowned a little but hid it with a chuckle.

"You swear everything that happens to me is because i'm sexually active." I said squeezing my stomach in. "Because it is." She shrugged and I sighed, going to check my phone.

I guess I been a little moody since I started having sex, a little bit meaner, didn't like talking to people, didn't like going out, smoking way more than usual, more emotional about my significant other. I felt like I was turning into Kurse.

Nobody told me about that part of losing your virginity.

"So you tell your dad yet?" Leila asked. "Tell him what?" I mumbled. "That you moving out?" She scrunched up her face. "I mean yea but no." I shrugged giving a dry response.

"So he don't know?" She said and I just gave her a blank look. "My man outside, i'll see you later." I said grabbing my purse and walking out her room as Ocean followed. "Oh-ok see you i guess." She said and I walked out the door, seeing Sahil in the car, blasting music

I opened the back door so Ocean can jump in and he reached over the passenger seat and opened the door for me as I got in, plopping down in the seat. "What's wrong with you?" He asked, seeming hyper. "Nothing." I mumbled looking at the dashboard.

He turned down the music. "What's wrong?" He said pulling my face to make me look at him. "You think I look fat?" I said and he scrunched up his face. "Keysi no." He said looking at my body.

"You look good, what you mean?" He asked. "Don't lie to me." I said as my face got warm. "Bae okay you gained a lil weight, we eat seafood or cheesesteaks bout every other day, you used to not eat at all." He said.

"What you wanna do a diet? We can do that, I fucks with salad and shit." He asked and I shook my head. "Keysi talk to me." He said but I literally couldn't, I didn't know what was wrong with me. I just knew I wasn't the same no more.
"I don't know Sahil." I said and he just stared at me.

"We gon figure it out later, okay?" He said and I just nodded. He pulled off to the store since we still had some stuff to get for the apartment.

It wasn't even a fancy one, we just picked anything because I needed to get out of that house. It was just so depressing all of sudden.

***

4:12 pm

After shopping, we dropped the stuff off at the apartment and were now heading to my house. "Don't be scared, just tell him what it is." Sahil said as I played with my fingers. "Okay?" He said and I nodded. "Ight I love you, see you in a hour." He said kissing me. "I love you too." I said as we both got out the car, Ocean jumped in the front seat and got out with Sahil.

They had been like besties since I made him watch Ocean that one day, Ocean barely stayed at my house anymore.

I unlocked the door and walked in the house. "Hey babygirl." My dad said from the living room, he was watching the game with Kela. "Hi" I said dryly, walking over to them. "Can I talk to yall?" I said, sitting on a couch across from them as they both looked at me.

"What's going on?" My dad said turning down the tv. "I'm moving out." I said looking down. "When?" Kela said. "Well, today:" I said looking up at their faces. I couldn't understand my dad's expression but Kela looked sad.

"You moving with Sahil?" He asked. "Kinda, yea
we got a apartment together." I said as my dad nodded. "Hm." He said looking in my eyes, I couldn't tell if he was disappointed or not. "I'll be right back." He said getting up from the couch and walking upstairs.

"Don't cry Kela." I said as I noticed her eyes watering. I knew how she felt because it was the same way for me when Kadir branched off, in a sense it feels like abandonment since we don't have the best home life but it was also a way for me to be Keysi, not just Kadir's younger sister.

"I'm still gonna get you to go to the store as much as I can. We still gonna hang out, just not as much anymore. You getting older, you have to experience things for yourself." I said as she just stared at me. "Okay?" I said and she nodded but I knew she didn't really hear me, she didn't want to.

It was gonna be hard for her but hopefully she'll get it soon.

My dad came back downstairs and walked over to me, sitting next to me. "This is a big responsibility Nova." He said and I nodded "I know." I said. "You have to hold your own, I know Sahil is there but we know better than most people how sudden somebody could be gone." He said.

"I don't think this is a good idea but allowing you to do you is the only way life is going to make sense to you, the only thing I can give you is.." He said digging in his pocket for something. "Here." He said handing me something and I looked at it, noticing it was my food stamps card with my name on it. I laughed a little, looking up at him.

"This is so unserious dad." Kela said as we all laughed. "I mean we been living off of Kadir shit for however long. I don't think I ever swiped yall cards." He said and we laughed. "Chicago fucked up as system still think Kadir is 13, they add money on there every month." He said.

"Thank you dad." I said hugging him. "Be smart Nova." He said. "I will"

𝓚

𝙗𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙙

𝙗𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙙

"you ain't a kid no more, we'll never be those kids again"
/ ivy