Static

"You've known all week that I'm staying out tonight." Ada called from the hallway, shrugging on her old, oversized jacket over her hoodie. Her mother was home and wasn't happy with the notion of Ada going out on a Friday night. "I even reminded you this morning."

"No you didn't." Her mother argued from the top of the stairs, struggling to coax Freddie into the bathroom. "Besides, you can't expect me to remember all of your plans on top of my own, let alone drop everything I'm doing to run you around."

"I did." Ada sighed, exasperated as she put her backpack on, ready to leave. "Look, it's fine. I didn't ask you to drive me anywhere, I don't mind walking."

"Well, if you insist on going out do you at least know what time you'll be back tomorrow?"

"No, mom, I don't. I'm only at Zoe's, Layla is staying over too, but I haven't seen them in ages so I don't want to rush off in the morning." Ada explained, impatiently. She was already running later than she expected and didn't want to keep her friends waiting. "Can I go now, please?"

"Fine, whatever." Her mother caved, dismissing her with a wave. "But you're walking home tomorrow too. Don't expect me or your dad to come get you."

"That's fine with me!" Ada called, opening the door and putting in her earphones as she stepped outside into the rain. "Bye Fred, see you tomorrow. Love you and be good!"

"Bye Ada, love you!" Freddie called as she closed the door behind her.

Ada pulled up her hood and clicked shuffle on her music app, drowning out the patter of rain and the bustle of cars as she began her walk to her friend's house- the happy tune a stark contrast to the bitter February rain that had already begun to soak through her jacket.

'Rise up this morning, smiled with the rising sun
Three little birds pitch by my doorstep
Singing sweet songs of melodies pure and true
Saying, "This is my message to you-ou-ou"'

She stuffed her hands in her pockets and quickened her pace, cursing herself for not grabbing an umbrella and praying that everything in her backpack would stay dry on the short walk down the road.

'Singing, "Don't worry about a thing
'Cause every little thing is gonna be alright"'

Despite the cold, Ada enjoyed the walk. Her music was loud enough to drown out the world around her, and as one song finished and the next started playing, she found herself hoping that solitary journey would last a little bit longer. In a house as busy as hers, she hardly got a second to herself. But when she was walking, earphones in and her music turned all the way up, she felt quiet. Peaceful.

The short winter day was already drawing to a close and the street lights flickered on as Ada rounded the corner onto the slightly nicer part of town. As she drew closer to Zoe's house, she turned at the sound of a car slowing down next to her, headlights casting a shadow up her friend's driveway. The window rolled down and Vinnie, Zoe's father, stuck his head out.

"Ada? What are you doing out in the rain, you silly child?" Vinnie scolded affectionately, parking up and getting out of his car.

"Hi Uncle. Good day?" Ada laughed off his concern, falling in step with him as they approached his house.

"Never mind that, why did Zoe not tell me you were walking here? I would've picked you up." He continued, unimpressed. "It's not good to be walking out in the dark. Especially not when it's cold and raining."

"It's okay, it's not Zoe's fault. I didn't tell her I was walking. But I'm here now." Ada shrugged, fiddling with the straps on her backpack. "A little damp but I'm in one piece."