sir leon looked down as arthur walked away. "my apologies for his attitude." isabella sent sir leon a respectful and slightly joking smile, the knight bowing with a slight chuckle before isabella left the field.

"are you having dinner tonight?" estella asked the princess when she entered her chambers. isabella nodded, going through her many dresses to choose for dinner.

"how are you and merlin?" isabella asked curiously. estella blinked, her eyes nervously moving from isabella to the flowers she was putting in a vase.

"what do you mean, bella?" she chuckled awkwardly, slightly scoffing.

"you have feelings for one another, no?" isabella frowned, unsure of why estella was denying it. "you do not have to lie to me. i think it's lovely." she smiled kindly.

estella shrugged, going to the curtain to help isabella get ready, "he's kind, and i suppose he is not awful looking." she looked confused and slightly embarrassed.

"he is kind. i'm sure he would treat you well. i think he likes you. he speaks about you often." isabella said as she winced at estella tightening her corset.

the french maid didn't reply, only tie up a bow on the back of isabella's dress and put a brush through her hair as isabella smiled to herself.

at dinner, arthur sat opposite isabella with the king at the head of the table, whilst merlin was serving them. the food was always delicious, despite the chef being an arrogant old woman.

arthur looked slightly nervous as he cleared his throat to speak. "we have received reports that a beast has been sighted roaming the forest near the northern boarders." he spoke up as isabella side eyed him with a raised brow and merlin gulped.

the king looked up in interest. "what is the nature of this beast?"

"it is said to have the body of a lion, wings of an eagle, and the...face of a bear." arthur replied slowly, as isabella looked at him with confusion. merlin suppressed a laugh as the king hummed.

"i believe it has been conjured by sorcery." arthur lied smoothly making his story more believable.

"then we must destroy it." the king replied instantly as arthur nodded. "i shall leave for the northern borders in the morning." he replied.

"but you'll miss the tournament." uther replied with a frown. this was unlike arthur.

"as much as i want to compete my duty to camelot comes first." arthur replied smoothly.

the king nodded, "oh yes, you're right of course."

"may i come?" isabella asked as the king glanced at her as it was arthur's turn to side eye her, hoping the king would say no to make the situation less suspicious.

"...i suppose so. but you aren't to go near the beast." uther replied to her as she nodded understandingly, smiling as arthur gently nudged her foot under the table, making her turn to him questioningly.

arthur subtly shook his head with an exaggerated wink, merlin stood behind him with wide eyes. it seemed they were trying to give her a message.

she only frowned in confusion as arthur rolled his eyes, waving it off, which let her know he would tell her later.

she shrugged, and continued to eat the food. every so often when the king wasn't looking she would stuff some bread into her pockets for merlin and estella, knowing they would eat much.